Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 51
In responding to a post by Galeno (#8876) on the Foolish Workshop board, I wrote:

I've absolutely nothing to add to Moe's M.I. analysis, except an observation [FWIW]on your overall strategy.

The major difference in our approach is that I am also heavily invested in a value screen [BSP2-6], a fair amount of LTBH stocks, two different index funds, and a smattering of municipal bonds. Although I recognize that this diversification may lead to slightly lower returns, it lets me sleep at night.

Moe replied:

Actually our philosophies are much more similar then you think. The reason you think otherwise is because you seem not to be fimiliar with where this port comes from. So here is some background which I have stated in the past . . .

Interestingly, I am familiar with Moe's ports. In fact, I am a long time admirer of MoeBruin for many reasons, including: (1) his many perspicacous insights into the nuances of Mechanical Investing; (2) his enormous investment of his own time and resources for the benefit of the entire community; (3) his postings of his real money portfolios; and (4) his gracious replies to the innumerable posters who seek his guidance and sage advice.

Indeed, I believe his reply (# 8897) to my post (#8881) was a typical Moe reply -- informative and interesting without being antagonistic or condescending. Yet, Moe completely misunderstood my posting. He got it wrong. How could such a thing happen?

Well, guess what -- the answer is simple: my original post was not exactly a model of clarity. Although, I make my living with words, upon review, its clear that my post was subject to an ambiguity -- which was interpreted by Moe (and, perhaps, others) in a way not intended.

Once again (this time with emphasis added), I noted in my original post: I've absolutely nothing to add to Moe's M.I. analysis, except an observation [FWIW]on YOUR overall strategy.

With this sentence, I meant to suggest that Moe's analysis was excellent, but I wanted to comment on GALENO's overall strategy, not Moe's strategy. Without question, Moe has undoubtedly forgotten more about investing, then I'll ever know.
The mere fact that Moe and others might have thought that I was commenting on his strategy is what leads me to pen this post.

However, this misunderstanding reinforces my belief that the people who post on this board should always respond to others courteously (as Moe did in his repy even when he perceived I was taking issue with his investment strategy). More importantly, I believe that the members of this community should never attack another's investment philosophy, morals, intelligence, or integrity. Too much time is wasted in such pursuits.

In my exceedingly brief career posting on this board (a veritable nanosecond), I have tried to act as if I was a guest in the Fool's home. In fact, I actually feel more like a guest who invited himself into someone else's home. In other words, I try to be on my best behavior. If I can help in any way, I try. If not, I quietly observe.

As noted several hundred years ago by the Earl of Chesterfield: "Manners must adorn knowledge and smooth its way through the world." Well, this board is all about knowledge and I am happy to say that (almost without exception) the posters on this board exhibit abundant generosity and charity in its dissemination.

Finally, I feel compelled to note that my original post was motivated only by a sincere concern that Galeno not take any unnecessary risks (or at least understand and be comfortable with the risks he is taking) with the impressive capital he has acquired. As for Moe's investing style, I hope mine is similar, as I've modeled a good portion of it on his advice. And, I intend to continue to do so, as long as he consents to share it with others.

Cheers,

Ganymede
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.