No. of Recommendations: 1
I contributed $3500. to my Roth IRA in March 2003 for the 2003 tax year. In September 2003 I was married and my wife and I are filing taxes separately making my IRA contribution no longer allowable.

I have submitted a "removal of excees IRA payment" form to my IRA custodian. They will return the original contribution amount plus the earnings on that contribution. As I understand it, I will pay taxes on the earnings only.

My question concerns how and when to report these earnings. My IRA custodian says they will send a 1099-R form in January of 2005. Does this mean I don't pay taxes on my 2003 contribution earnings until tax year 2004? Or do I report the earnings (as reported to me by my IRA custodian) on my 1040 form for 2003?

Is there anybody out there familiar with this procedure that can clear it up for me (and anyone else in the same boat)? Thank you in advance.

Aleph (Mark)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.