Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi guys!

Haven't been here in ages, but had a question that I'm sure you guys can help me with. *bows to all knowledgeble Fools*

A few years ago, despite my "screaming" protests my dad got a Citi credit card with my *idiot* brother on it. (in future to be identified "IB")

Dad is almost 89 now and I really need to get him off this credit card. My dad no longer receives a printed statement on the account as my IB went online and set it up for online statements only. IB also has the card charged up to the limit most of the time which is screwing up Dad's credit score. At this point in time, my parents need to sell their big house, and buy something cheaper and smaller and dad's ready for Assisted Living even if Mom is not.

What's the best way of getting either my IB or my Dad's name off the account? I have POA and have been dealing with Dad's finances for almost 10 years now. If I just outright close the card, my IB will never pay it off, and Dad will be stuck with "another" debt of my IB's.

Background info: My IB has a lien on his rental prop in my dad's name to the tune of 10K. He's also paying on a personal loan in my dad's name and has a debt on another credit card. While at this point in time, he is paying on all these items, (except the lien) p/off IB isn't gonna help.

Is there some legal way I can separate the credit card account? (I haven't called Citi yet as I don't want to alert IB to my plans.) Although, I repeatedly have asked him to pay off the card and get one in his own name he hasn't done so. (and we won't get into the "IB hasn't paid income taxes in many years" issue.)

Any constructive advice would be helpful. (please don't go into coulda woulda shoulda, cause that's in the past and can't be changed now.)

Help me O' Knowledgeble Fools! You're my only hope!

Ianna
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.