Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Renouncing your US citizenship used to be a way to keep your money, that is until 1995 when they changed the law so that you are taxed on your total worth on exiting. Basically your government wants you to pay big time for the priviledge of being a US citizen, regardless of whether you live here and or not, and also wants you to pay big time if you don't want that priviledge.

Here's some info: http://www.cyberhaven.com/offshorelibrary/expattax.html

Don't forget, you are living in the land of the free, as long as you pay to get in, stay, and leave. I'm British (and currently non-green card), so I may have a "slim" chance of getting out with my loot, I believe if you have a green card for a little too long you get as stuffed as US citizens upon leaving - call it the great escape.

Sorry if this is a trifle negative, but I am up to here with the US tax situation, it's a wonder anyone ever actually gets rich here (and stays rich) with the rather large slice your government wants from what you have made.

Good luck - and be *well* informed before you do anything.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.