Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey Islers!

I was wondering if anyone has any interesting accounts involving renting a car while on vacation.

I always rent a car when we go to Kauai, and I rent from National (that's my fav because I like to be able to choose from the aisle). This is the only place I rent a car where they actually don't try to upsell me the insurance. They always say that Kauai is small, and no one takes the insurance.

Well, okay, but I began to think that their attitude is going to be much less casual if I were to bring the car back damaged. One never knows what could happen, even returning to your car in the parking lot after shopping.

So, I began to investigate, and yes, you are covered through your own car insurance, though you'd need to pay up first and then put in a claim. Then, of course, you're almost guaranteed to have your rates go up.

Then, I investigated what the credit cards supposedly offer. They claim that they cover rental cars, but in most cases, it's secondary insurance which means you have to first go through your private insurance, and then, perhaps, they'll give you back the deductible. This doesn't do you any good regarding rising rates after a claim though.

Next, I investigated cards that offer "primary" rental car insurance, and I read dozens of accounts where people ended up just giving up because the run around was so intense and difficult, it just wasn't worth it anymore. Hey, you're on vacation, you don't need endless hassle.

Finally, I found that the same company that is providing my travel insurance (I always take travel insurance) also offers rental car insurance. For a small fee of about $25, they cover damage to the car up to $40,000. Simple, no hassle. You only need to provide the with the rental car agreement, and a police report and you're done. The rep even said that in most cases, car rental companies will deal directly through them, leaving the customer out of the loop.

That turned out to be the answer for me so I won't have to even think about it.

Thoughts?

Does anyone think this topic deserves a dedicated discussion board?

Tony
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.