Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My last employer has asked me to come back as a 1099 contract worker to help them out due to being shorthanded. I live in Missouri and the company is in San Francisco. I'm trying to figure out if I rent a room from someone for several months, would it be tax deductible? This is from the IRS instructions;

Line 24a Enter your expenses for lodging and transportation connected with overnight travel for business while away from your tax home. In most cases, your tax home is your main place of business, regardless of where you maintain your family home. You cannot deduct expenses paid or incurred in connection with employment away from home if that period of employment exceeds 1 year.

I would be flying in to San Francisco and staying about 15 days, then returning back to MO for about 20 days. I think the rent would be tax deductible, but just want to make sure.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.