Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My 85 yo dad and 65 yo stepmom live in a (fully paid for) 2 story home in South Bay area of Los Angeles. We've discussed them moving to a 1 story home while they are in good health, possibly taking advantage of the current lower price and mortgage rates. The problem is that with the poor real estate market, selling their 2 story home may be challenging. Also since neither are working, getting a mortgage may be iffy. They do own a small apartment complex from which they derive their main income but are hesitant to risk mortgaging it. Similarly, they hesitate to use up their liquid savings for the 1 story as then they would have no reserves.

I'm 55 yo and with my wife working full time (both living in GA), we're in the 33% federal tax bracket. Would it make sense for us to buy the 1 story home in LA and rent it to them for the mortgage deduction? They could in turn potentially remodel their outdated 2 story as a rental for some income.

If my parents want to contribute to the downpayment for the 1 story, how can we organize it so it's simplest (hopefully avoiding joint ownership)? One downside presumably is we'll have to file state income tax in CA (as well as GA). Are there other major pros and cons with this idea that I've not thought of yet? Welcome your critique.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.