Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
So as far as I can tell, rental income is reported on Schedule E.

The instructions all seem to think this is for a vacation home. So does this not apply to renting rooms out of my main house? If that's the case, where do I report the rental income (I'm sure Uncle Sam wants his share of that money <sigh>).

And if I report the income on Sch E, where/how do I report the mortgage interest & property taxes? Does some or all of it go on Sch E, or does it all just go on Schedule A?

Thanks for any help!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.