Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all

I've had some problems with my 92 Ford Explorer 4wd. I bought it used a couple of years ago, & it pulled (very slightly) to the left. Had it aligned, then discovered nearly nonexistant bushings on the front end which were replaced. Still the slightest tendency to pull left (both while under power and during braking). The guy who fixed the bushings & did the alignment said this was because of uneven wear on the front left tire, & would last til I replaced the tire. Well, the tire is past due to be replaced, so I went to Costco, where I was told by an employee that they would not sell me 'a' tire, or even replace both front tires, but would only replace all four tires at once, because it would cause damage to the transfer case.
That puzzled me. I mean, I could see an issue if you replaced say, one front tire with one of wildly different tread pattern (highway as opposed to aggresive off-road tread, for example), at least as far as traction goes, but if the transfer case is so God-awful sensitive, wouldn't just having one worn front tire coupled with another, less worn front tire cause some kind of thermonuclear detonation, & the end of life as we know it?
Whaddya think? I do need to get at least one new tire on the 'exploder', & the other front tire is worn enough that it wouldn't break my heart to replace it at the same time, instead of waiting a few months as would have been my 'druthers'. It was my intent to have the two new tires put on the back, and the rear tires (which are evenly worn) moved up front. That was advice I found on a bona-fide 4x4 site (though I could find nothing that encouraged replacing tires four at a time.
Thanks to all who take the time--Scott
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.