No. of Recommendations: 0
Replying to my own post but in retrospect I needed to expand.

While I do have a Microsoft account from long ago, I never sign into it anymore.

Chrome OS (chrombooks): this is an interesting OS which probably provides all the 'power' most computer users need. It is constantly being extended in utility; even moving into the linux realm. Cheap computer power. I initially rejected it because the need for constant internet connection -- something I can't be guaranteed where I live.

But committing to Chrome OS also means you fall under complete OS control of one company. A very big company that says they will do good. But......

Anyone using Chrome OS here? I don't recall any messages.

I wasn't able to get it running in a virtual machine (last I looked there were proprietary ways to do this, but not worth the money to just 'play' for me).

I suppose if there was a way to lock it down, it would be an interesting option for most. If it moves into the 'open' space as Android has perhaps one avoids everything calling back to the mothership? Again, I'm mostly speculating from ignorance as I've not followed this arena at all.

glh
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.