Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Replying to rxpharmd's question "I got married on December 29th, 1998 to a man that is a citizen of Bahamas ... Can we file married/jointly? And can we claim his son as a dependent?"

My experience is that I married a foreign citizen in a foreign country. The marriage is recognized by the US government, but this may be dependent on the relationship between the US and the country of the spouse. We file a joint return. This was based on the advice of our tax accountant (at a major professional accountant agency), which is only meant to say I feel fairly confident that it is legal for our situation. I don't know anything about what would happen with the child in your situation.

Of course my situation is inherently different from yours, and the fact that we file jointly might not imply that you are able to.

Hope that helps a little!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.