Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

While preparing 2013 Tax Return I have discovered that I was not allowed to contribute to my Roth IRA in 2011 due to the AGI limitations. I did contribute $5,000 in 2011.

I understand that I have to file amended 2011 and 2012 returns both having form 5329 added and pay 6% excise tax on the excess amount (=5,000) for both years. I will also file 5329 for 2013, but since I caught it before April 15, 2014 it will be on the original return.

I am also planning to remove both principal (=5,000) and earnings in order to correct the excess contribution and avoid paying 6% excise tax in subsequent years. My broker (E-Trade) will not calculate earnings on contributions made during years prior to 2013, so I will have to do it myself -- I did find the IRS Worksheet in Pub 590 to calculate the earnings -- and I will do so.

Everything that I have read so far says that I need to report the earnings portion of the return as regular income as well as calculate 10% early withdrawal penalty on it (since I am younger than 59 and 1/2) for the year the excess contribution was made, NOT for the year it was removed.

My question is to confirm the above: If I make the withdrawal from my Roth IRA of 2011 excess contribution (both principal and earnings) in March 2014, do I report the earnings as regular income and calculate 10% penalty on the earnings amount on form 5329 on my amended 2011 return?

Thank you in advance,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.