Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Playing tournament bridge is among my avocations. A couple of months ago, my team was fortunate enough to win the right to represent our District in an event at the upcoming North American Championships.

The victory comes with a $250 per person stipend. I am eligible for the stipend only if I actually play in the national event, which requires me to fly across the continent and take a hotel room for as many as four nights. I believe I also have to pay card fees, which will be $36 per day for as many as five days. As you can imagine, the expenses will easily swallow the stipend. It is unlikely that I would have attended the tournament had we not won the event.

I can't imagine that I'll end up being taxed on the stipend. What will be the appropriate way to report it?

Thanks for any help. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.