Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
After making my $2000 Roth contrubution for 2000, I ended up exceeding the income limit & now must recharacterize the contribution to a Traditional IRA. It seems that if I file my taxes before the recharacterization, I'll have to file form 5329, and pay the tax on excess contributions; then after I recharacterize, file an amended 1040x along with form 8606. Is this correct?

Any help is much appreciated.

(Who wishes that IRS would hire some non-accountant types to write their instructions)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.