Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I am cable-less on the west coast. My only Olympic viewing option is NBC, which will be horrifically tape delayed here. I'm going to do my best to not find out what happens in certain events before i watch them.

So, i beg of everyone: PLEASE use spoiler warnings and spoiler space whenever necessary while discussing the events. Err on the side of caution - i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
snippee
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am cable-less on the west coast. My only Olympic viewing option is NBC, which will be horrifically tape delayed here. I'm going to do my best to not find out what happens in certain events before i watch them

I understand you point, but I have a question? How does one find out what NBC (US) will shows live and what NBC (US) will tape delay without having access to NBC (US)?

How long is the tape delay. 6 hours, a day or two?

7 or 8 hours, I think. +3 if you live on the left coast.
Thanks for the reminder snippee!

Who knows how long the tape delay is! It's 1 am on the West coast and I'm watching Women's Air Rifle live!

=) Megan

I understand you point, but I have a question? How does one find out what NBC (US) will shows live and what NBC (US) will tape delay without having access to NBC (US)?

NBC's prime time viewing will be tape delay. MSNBC, CNBC, BRAVO and Telemundo will show mostly live events. NBC during the daytime hours will show live/tape events. Go to www.nbcolympics.com for all the info. Be warned though if you go to the website, you will see results.

Charlie
A good rule of thumb might be that the most popular stuff will be tape delayed for prime time on NBC, so if it hasn't been shown on prime time yet, be careful both reading and posting.
So, i beg of everyone: PLEASE use spoiler warnings and spoiler space whenever necessary while discussing the events. Err on the side of caution - i'd greatly appreciate it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snippee,

Now I am really going to get confused with the timeline. eeek!

I will do my best however, I THINK you guys see things before Oz does....errrr! maybe not because we a approx. 14-18 hours ahead.

Geesh! I dunno.

HELP!???

Sydney is 7 hours in front of Athens.

Kez (no good at this timeline stuff)
Kez,

Just make sure whatever you post - as far as result, you let us know there is a spoiler. That way no one will get upset.

Charlie
...really going to bed...
Just make sure whatever you post - as far as result, you let us know there is a spoiler. That way no one will get upset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tell ya what!

I won't comment until I see some indication from the others OR I will ask if you have seen a particular event as yet?
At the moment, I am watching lighweight skulls 1500meter trials and it is DAY 2.

PROMISE NOT TO SPOIL ANYTHING FOR ANYONE :O) I know what it's like.

Sleep well Charlie

Kez
No. of Recommendations: 1
How long is the tape delay. 6 hours, a day or two?

Not exactly sure, but probably 12 hours or so.

Don't even get me started. I'm still mad that the Salt Lake games weren't shown on the West Cost in real time. (I had access to the wonderful CBC then, thank goodness, which showed events live. What a frickin' concept.)

NBC broadcasts the main stuff (tape delayed) at 8 pm Eastern and then re-broadcasts it at 8 pm Pacific, three hours later. (As best i can tell, the Central time zone gets the broadcast at 7 pm. I'm not sure if the Mountain broadcast starts at 6 pm with Eastern or 9 pm with Pacific.)

Tape delay is bad enough, but a tape delay of a tape delay? Ridiculous.

As much as i want to stay up and watch the late night stuff live, as well as watch the mid-day events, sorta live, i can't. Duty calls and i have to work. Grumble. Staying up until midnight each night might be pushing it!

I just wish they'd broadcast everything at the same time, like all big sporting events - the Super Bowl, the World Series, whatever. Just show the events at 8pm Eastern, 7 pm Central, 6 pm Mountain and 5 pm Pacific, supplemented by recaps and re-broadcasts where necessary.

*sigh* Like no one asked WonderPup about the men's basketball team, no one asked me about programming. So, i must ask for spoiler warnings - which, btw, everyone's doing a good job of providing! Thanks!

No. of Recommendations: 2
The thing that gets me is how super-chopped-up everything feels. NBC has decided that they won't let Olympic coverage on their sister channels (e.g. USA / MSNBC) compete with their prime-time coverage, which means that they are trying to smoosh a lot of events into a relatively small chunk of time. I was getting so frustrated with the swimming / gymnastics back and forth yesterday.

My other pet peeve -- the graphic for the next event (in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen) is HUGE. It obliterated so much of the screen that at times you couldn't see if the gymnast had stuck a landing or taken a step back. It's fine to have one of those floating graphics announcing the next event, but make it smaller. (I don't need to have video of someone swimming to let me know that swimming is coming up -- and I assume that the vast majority of Olympics watchers are not illiterate.)

Fi
I was getting so frustrated with the swimming / gymnastics back and forth yesterday.

I actually liked that. It let me watch what I wanted, but still get some stuff done (I'm in the process of moving, so packing takes priority over watching TV).
And I figure that there are a lot of people like me that like one of the events, but don't care so much for the other. I know that I ended up watching much more swimming than I usually do, because I kept watching after the gymnastics.

That graphic is pretty annoying. Like to know what's coming up, but it really gets in the way.

That said, I really like the idea that they are showing all the sports this year, even if it is hard to find. In the past, I've fenced (poorly), and played badminton (only slightly better), yet in 20 years, this is the first time I've been able to watch either in the Olympics, or for that matter, on TV at all. Also, the Table Tennis is fun, although I wish that they would not cut the camera angle just as the serve is being made; that's just annoying.

But overall, better coverage than in the past. I think they learned something from the fact that curling was so popular in the winter games (despite never showing a whole game, and only once or twice showing an entire end).

David
*sigh* Like no one asked WonderPup about the men's basketball team, no one asked me about programming. So, i must ask for spoiler warnings - which, btw, everyone's doing a good job of providing! Thanks!

I didn't mean to come off as a pain in the rear when I asked the question about NBC's coverage. I'm here in Germany, so I get tons of stuff live. I don't want to spoil the outcome for anyone. Of coarse they cover some things that you probably will never see on NBC.

I'm curious, did Fencing or Badmitton get any airtime in the US?

That said, I really like the idea that they are showing all the sports this year, even if it is hard to find.

I just wish the schedule they have fed to the TiVO company was more granular. I hate that according to the schedule on TiVO for Bravo that there is a 11 hour block of programming, and equestrian events are in there somewhere.

I have had to go to the NBCOlymics website to get a better granular schedule and then set my recording manually.

I watched fencing over the weekend. I found it fascinating.

Charlie
I didn't mean to come off as a pain in the rear when I asked the question about NBC's coverage.

Oh, you weren't! My vitriol is directed at NBC, not you. Unless of course, you work in the programming department at NBC...

:)
I watched fencing over the weekend. I found it fascinating.

I thought it was very interesting as well.

YES!!! For the first time ever in my recollection. Was a joy to see, even if I only got to see a small amount.

They will also be showing handball for the first time; I'm interested in that, because I've never seen the game before, and would like to see what it is like.

David
The thing that gets me is how super-chopped-up everything feels. NBC has decided that they won't let Olympic coverage on their sister channels (e.g. USA / MSNBC) compete with their prime-time coverage, which means that they are trying to smoosh a lot of events into a relatively small chunk of time. I was getting so frustrated with the swimming / gymnastics back and forth yesterday.

NBC is famous for the choppy thing, and their coverage is pretty widely despised because of it. I've been quite impressed with Bravo's coverage though (I know NBC owns Bravo, but for whatever reason Bravo actually shows whole events all the way through).
Bravo is showing live coverage. The only tape delay I have seen there is going back to show you what you missed during a commercial break.
Bravo is showing live coverage. The only tape delay I have seen there is going back to show you what you missed during a commercial break.

Bravo's coverage has been so good I want to email and compliment them on it. MSNBC's has been pretty good also.