Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My daughter is moving to California next month, where she has a paid internship lined up. Since her stay there will be temporary (one year), she plans to retain her Maryland residency (driver's license and voter's registration). Should she plan on paying state tax to CA or MD?

Hubby works in DC as a commuter and pays MD tax (kind of a sore point for DC, but that's another story), so I assumed that daughter would pay MD tax. But maybe her having an apartment in CA makes a difference?

Any pros/cons to just changing her residency to CA?

I don't think the following info will make a difference, but just in case:
1. She's 22.
2. Since internship is through her college (in Texas), they will continue to have her registered as a full-time student. (I checked on this for medical insurance purposes.)
3. Hubby & I will continue to put her as a dependent on our 1040's for '03 and '04.

Thanks in advance,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.