No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife and I are looking to sell our single family home and downsize to a house with less sq ft., to be closer to where we work.

In order to sell, I believe that we will need to take out a home equity loan (or line of credit?) in order to make our house more marketable and to get some things up to code.

Once we sell, we will need to secure a 30-year, fixed mortgage for a new house.

* Currently, we have more credit card debt than we would like and that has negatively impacted our credit rating.
* Our goal is to improve our credit scores by using the revenue from selling our current house to:
* pay off all of our credit card debt
* pay off the home equity loan
* make a downpayment on a new house

My question is, what is the best way to accomplish these goals and ensure that we are set up to succeed?

My fear is that we will sell our house, and then not be able to qualify for the mortgage loan for our next house. There is also the chance that we would not qualify for the home equity loan either.

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.