Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Respectable,

<<I know Pixy already gave you a little speech on being responsible for your finances, so I'm sorry to sound like someone else giving you a lecture (people really don't lecture at others on the boards much, so I'm sorry if this is your indoctrination), >>

O.k., I admit it. I was kinda preachy. Just attribute that to my desire to get folks to take responsibility for their own financial lives instead of leaving that task to others. My evangelism got the better of me for a moment.

<<With that said, I know the Motley Fools recommend a S & P 500 Index Fund (like Vangaurd) for those who don't really like to watch their portfolio. I'm not sure how they feel about Payden and Rygel's Growth and Income Fund, but it is something I am considering plunking my $2K into this month. This fund hasthe method of having half its money trying to mimic the S&P 500 and the other half invested in the dogs of the Dow (another method the Fools seem to favor, though not as much as the well known Dow 5 method or their Dow 4 approach). It's a no load fund, but the expenses seem a tad high considering there is so little to do in managing this fund. If anyone happens to be reading this that has comments on the fund, I'd love to hear/read them. >>

The fund doesn't have a long enough track record for me to comment pro or con. However, I do know it will never beat the do-it-yourself approach. First, too much money has to be held as cash for possible redemptions. Second, there are the expenses you mentioned. Thus, to me, it's just another fund.

Regards…..Pixy

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.