Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Responding to Danny Schlesinger's musings about software, I have the following to offer. The basic premise of programming will change over the next 50 years to something that is more based on automatons (practically simulated insects with very small codes and responses) cooperating in a distributed or massively parallel environment.

The reasons for this are two-fold: hardware is cheap, code is expensive. Secondly, a serially threaded program is as limited as a novel, and unadaptable.

My expertise for this is limited - work with massively parallel codes for geophysical imaging and reservoir simulation, early programing in weather prediction, early work in artificial intelligence, work in hyperlinking learning. My best source for published work on this is Kevin Kelly's 1994 book "Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social systems, and the Economic World." Its worth at least reading the Amazon synopsis.

ohjammer, New Mexico
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.