Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The nice people at ATH directed me over here, so here I am. I am embarking on my first job hunt in a long time. Last time I did this I was a college senior. Plus I'm trying to make a slight career change too. Fun, no?

The job I want:
Project Manager - responsible for managing, monitoring and coordinating projects. Keep the cross-functional launch team on target. Work with Developers, Product Management, QA, and other internal teams and external parties to complete projects.

My current resume (with parts that I think I should probably remove in italics, and brackets around details removed for privacy purposes):

--------
[My Name]
[My Address]
[My cell phone number and home phone number]

EDUCATION:

Stanford University
June [graduation year] B.S. Science, Technology, and Society with emphases in math and computer science

[Southern CA High School]
June [graduation year] Valedictorian, National Merit Scholar, editor-in-chief of yearbook, California Scholarship Federation member and officer, 4.33/4.0 weighted GPA, 4.0/4.0 unweighted GPA (but then with just yearbook listed, that looks sad and weird)

EXPERIENCE:

[Current company]
[month] 2005 - current
Manager, Quality Assurance
Manage two direct reports and work with QA personnel in India; determine schedule; review test plans; run bug meetings; attend and provide input at project kick-off meetings and specification reviews; communicate with other groups as necessary to schedule and execute frequent releases; involved in all phases of product development

QA Department, [My last company what sold me to the current company]
July [college grad year] – [month] 2005
QA engineer: Review site content (copy edit); write and execute test plans; write scripts using SILK to test basic functionality; work closely with developers, design, systems, marketing, and customer support; perform interviews; train all new hires in the QA department on tools and procedures; mentor new employees, [company created annual] Award, 2001

QA Lead/Manager: Assign functionality to QA team members; run daily meetings with product management and development leads to assess readiness for code freeze; run showstopper meetings; assign bugs to developers; approve label requests; put together several company-wide test days for large new projects being rolled out; manage up to 3 QA engineers

QA Intern, Intuit
Summer [year while I was in college]
Perform frequent benchmark tests for performance; black box testing of basic Quicken functionality

Night Assistant, Stanford Conference Services
Summer [same year as above]
Stay in a dorm and remain available to aid conference attendees if they became locked out of their rooms; work in the conference office every week doing data entry and other tasks as necessary; check-in conference attendees

Financial Manager, [self-op row house]
Spring Quarter [sophomore year] – Winter Quarter [junior year]
Budget for food, chef's salary and social events for each quarter; set board bill amount; keep records of house spending; write checks; participate in other aspects of house management

Other related work:
ACM SIGCHI conference paper reviewer: late breaking results in 1999, papers for 2000, posters for 2001, papers in 2002
Focus group: recruited focus group members, observed focus group, wrote report to funding agency for SoundVision Productions - the DNA files
Persuasive Technology Lab: former lab member, reviewed [book] pre-publication
-----------

So, suggestions?

Thanks.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.