Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Retail in general getting hit hard. My observations:

Personally I find outlet malls less interesting than before. At the very beginning, outlet stores were distribution for seconds, over production. Now you see extremely little of that type of outlet. Outlet got to mean simply alternative format stores. At least it used to be that they had unique stores. For instance the big one in Gilroy, California, had Mikasa, Royal Doulton, but these are gone. They do still have a lot of quality stores, but I think the ratio is dropping and you are getting more of the mom and pop stores selling dubious stuff.

Regular malls are closer to town and have some sense of community. They can be repurposed, possibly, to movie theaters, gyms, doctors offices, etc. They are good to walk when it is cold or raining. I do not see how an outlet mall can be repurposed.

Also, many a mall is on very valuable property. I wonder how much of a fallback position that is. Probably not much, but it is something. OTOH, malls on the outskirts of medium sized cities probably do not sit on valuable property. And outlet malls almost by design sit on land that was cheap before, and will remain so if the mall fails.

So I see outlet malls as having only one play in their playbook. It either works or it does not, and that is that.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.