Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Why retire early?
Print the post Back To Top
I retired early (55) for a couple of reasons: 1) I could 2) spend more time hiking and sightseeing in the Western US, 3) visit out of state kids and grandkids. I can still work whenever I want on my terms. I was able to do this after learning how to sell put options. I am 65 now and investing my pension income and still selling put options. I am clearing 24% annualized and in an IRA to defer taxes. I spend about an hour every 4 weeks using my streamlined system. I even taught my wife how to do it and she hates investing. Taught her in 2 hours.
can you teach me?
Hi whatsup1

If your still around on this board... I have a bunch of questions.

Are you still living off put options?, and is this your exclusive means of income?

I'm not asking your nest egg, but how much capital does one require to do this and live of the premiums? I assume you are backing every put with cash, so if I held $500,000 writing puts against it, at 24% annualized you'd earn $120,000/yr in earnings. Correct?

Do you write puts exclusively in your IRA and then draw your income from it? If yes, then are you not paying a early withdrawal fee because you are not yet 60?

Do you have a top 5 or 10 list of companies you write puts on?

Thank you
Russell (50)
My Retirement Story: I retired at 39. By retired I mean I left my successful, but very high stress career behind. Why? The pressure I put on myself and family from that career was killing us (definitely killing me!) My career at that point involved corporate strategic placement and business development consulting in the healthcare market. Dog eat Dog stuff. I was making good money but it was burning me out. While I loved doing the job and solving the puzzles, I found I could no longer handle the physical stress. I decided to leave that all behind and do what I enjoy instead of what makes the most money. I decided to build a business for myself, instead of helping others build theirs. I paid for college by working as a carpenter in the summers so I thought why not do something like that again! I obtained a Contractor License in California and began looking at the market to find my niche. I do not do any of the real labor, I hire others for that. I needed margin to succeed. To make ends meet I started picking up houses, fixing and flipping them. I learned a few of the the tricks and made some money but lacking the key contacts hurt my success. My goal was to develop "A lifestyle business" that allows me to work as hard or as little as I wanted. Finally I located an opportunity, identifying a poorly served segment, Disability Remodeling, and set out to build a business. My company now remodels homes for the disabled, mostly of late for veterans in San Diego County working directly for the Department of Veteran Affairs. Most business people detest working with the Government because of the bureaucracy and slow pace, but that is the barrier to entry that I love. The secret to success is to master the rules of working with the funding entities and fight to streamline the operation down lean and mean. My lifestyle business earns me a nice living, on my terms and time table. I work at home, as hard as I want and earn as much as I need each year. But I guess I am not yet fully retired since I still work 20 to 25% of the year while still pulling in 6 figures.