No. of Recommendations: 4
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100582869

Before moving to Hawaii, Clif Purkiser lived in San Jose, Calif., so he was accustomed to a high cost of living. "The biggest issue is housing," he says. "It's just like the Bay Area: If you can manage housing, you can find ways to mitigate the costs of everything else."

Purkiser says his health insurance is "cheap" compared to most of America. "I think my $300-per-month plan and $25 copays are a bargain compared to what some people on the mainland are paying," he says.

</snip>

Cliff is an early-retired engineer who used to work at Intel. He was active at the old REHP board before it went Tea-Bag.

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
We used to spend a lot of time Key West, Florida. We'd go almost every year and rent a cottage with our Cuban friends from Tallahassee, Florida. Some years we stayed for a couple of weeks.

Well Key West is fairly expensive to live there. I met kids who lived down there who worked in restaurants and they told me they had to hold down three part time jobs just so they could live in "Paradise." One kid told me he worked on a shrimp boat, in a restaurant, and as a house painter to make ends meet.

Another thing they do down in Key West is share rent with several other kids for a small apartment and then sleep in shifts, sometimes sleeping on the same bed. As many as five or six kids will all live in a two bedroom apartment but since they are always working they are rarely home; home long enough just to sleep for a few hours before having to go back to work. It's insane.

One kid told me that it was the price one had to pay to live in Paradise. Working 16 hours a day didn't sound like paradise to me.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 3
Art53 writes,

Another thing they do down in Key West is share rent with several other kids for a small apartment and then sleep in shifts, sometimes sleeping on the same bed. As many as five or six kids will all live in a two bedroom apartment but since they are always working they are rarely home; home long enough just to sleep for a few hours before having to go back to work. It's insane.

One kid told me that it was the price one had to pay to live in Paradise. Working 16 hours a day didn't sound like paradise to me.

</snip>

Amen, brother Art.

For the last 18 years I've had the best "job" in America -- sleep until noon, play a little golf, travel, watch some TV -- all the time reveling in the fact that there's nothing I "have" to do, or anyone I "have" to report to.

intercst
"Amen, brother Art. For the last 18 years I've had the best "job" in America -- sleep until noon, play a little golf, travel, watch some TV -- all the time reveling in the fact that there's nothing I "have" to do, or anyone I "have" to report to." - intercst

--------------------

Just turned 60 years old. I retired in 2001 at age 48. If you call what I did "retiring." (Maybe just gave up on working? Didn't want to start over.)

Anyway on the days I do have scheduled appointments I dread it. Like a doctor or dentist appointment. Ughhh! I like best for the day to just unfold. The only thing I like scheduled on m "have to do" list are my regular TV shows like The Big Bang Theory. I don't mind that!

Getting up whenever you want to and taking afternoon naps is the ultimate in luxury. Also not having to fight rush hour traffic is pretty nice too.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
For the last 18 years I've had the best "job" in America -- sleep until noon, play a little golf, travel, watch some TV -- all the time reveling in the fact that there's nothing I "have" to do, or anyone I "have" to report to.

intercst

I would be bored out of my gourd on that regimen.

Count No'Count
No. of Recommendations: 0
Happy Birthday Art :-)
ral
Just turned 60 years old.

Happy Birthday! That's major! Did you celebrate with family, go out or cook something special at home, get anything new, plan a vacation, or just let that milestone slip past as unnoticed as possible?! Does Bonnie also turn 60 this year?

My husband just turned 64, and I fixed him a nice Indian dinner at home with family & friends. He's still loving his retirement gift of a new 27" iMac, which makes coding and working with his photos more fun. He just got it a few weeks ago and recently purchased a couple of sci-fi books, so didn't feel desire for a birthday present--other than tinkering with the RV and installing a few new parts, a cross between maintenance and upgrades--replacing worn out parts with better ones, giving him research projects as well as the entertainment & pride of DIY. One major project should be performed at the Mothership in Southern California. What with plans for April and May, the soonest we could get out there is June.

Next year we turn 65, and I'm mulling over a trip to Belize, or maybe just a long winter RV trip to Florida.
"Happy Birthday Art :-)" - ral

Thanks. I turned 60 a couple of weeks ago. It was a big milestone. No longer in my 50's, lived 6 decades, etc. It's sort of a strange feeling. I've felt like an old geezer for quite a while now but now I really am an official "Senior Citizen."

Art
No. of Recommendations: 4
"Happy Birthday! That's major! Did you celebrate with family, go out or cook something special at home, get anything new, plan a vacation, or just let that milestone slip past as unnoticed as possible?! Does Bonnie also turn 60 this year?" - alstromeria
----------

It did feel kind of major. We just had a little family birthday party at Mi-ma's house. She fixed me "Smoke On The Mountain" which is a desert made with a pecan cookie crust, chocolate pudding, and a whipped cream topping. It's delicious. I'm a big pudding fan and would rather have that than cake any day.

I bought myself a brand new 47" Vizio LED Hi-def Smart TV at Sam's Club for my birthday. Man is it nice. It's like having a movie theater in our living room! It's sort of a combination birthday present/anniversary present (married 39 years) since both happen in March.

I'd been looking at big TV's for months now and I finally decided what I wanted. I learned as much about them as I could before I bought one. Streaming Netflix through the TV is the best! It uses the Wi-Fi signal from our computer modem. It's mind boggling! Who thinks this stuff up?

We also went to Atlanta, Georgia in early March and met up with friends there that live in Tallahassee, Florida. Sort of a half-way point. Linda came to Atlanta and we hung out together while my wife spent time with her friend. Linda and I like to go to the big super international grocery stores in Atlanta. There's one on Ponce De Leon and also one out north I-85 called "ASSI" that is gigantic. It's a giant super Asian store that has food from all over the world. You can get anything from anywhere there. It's at least as big as a Super Wal-mart if not bigger?

Art
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks. I turned 60 a couple of weeks ago. It was a big milestone. No longer in my 50's, lived 6 decades, etc. It's sort of a strange feeling. I've felt like an old geezer for quite a while now but now I really am an official "Senior Citizen."

Art

Well, the good news is that you now qualify for the senior discount at many places! I hate it when they give me the senior discount without having to ask for it.

I don't know when one becomes an old fart. My calendar says I qualify, but I don't feel all that old. No aches and pains, no mobility problems, and I still have my wits about me (as much as I ever did.) I will be 75 on April 8.

Count No'Count
"No aches and pains, no mobility problems, and I still have my wits about me (as much as I ever did.) I will be 75 on April 8." - Count No'Count

Lucky you! I have arthritis and I hurt like hell, pretty much all the time. You'll probably out live me. The aches and pains of arthritis is why I didn't want to start over after I quit teaching, after I was laid off from the Uni. of TN Vet School. I thought it would be so easy to transition into teaching after having worked in biomedical research for 20 years - but it wasn't. I was a disaster as a teacher.

You have to have nerves of steel to be a school teacher. I got to the point where I woke up every morning dreading going in to work. I was on the verge of some kind of break down. Maybe I was having an anxiety attack? When you are a teacher you have to go in to work every day prepared for battle. Nothing can be left to chance. You can't just let the day happen. You don't just show up for work. You have to have a detailed plan.

Towards the end I just gave up and let the little buggers do whatever the heck they wanted. I was like "you win, do whatever the hell you want." That is the point when the principal and vice principal stepped in and let me know it was time to move on. I promised the Principal that I'd never teach again.

And that was the end of my work career. At that point in my life I didn't want to start over. It was April of 2001. And now you know the rest of the story.

Art
I bought myself a brand new 47" Vizio LED Hi-def Smart TV at Sam's Club for my birthday. Man is it nice. It's like having a movie theater in our living room! It's sort of a combination birthday present/anniversary present (married 39 years) since both happen in March.

When we moved to our "new" house three years ago I got a 55" TV for my wife. She had been watching TV on a 19"-er in the bedroom, and it was getting tired, so I wanted her to have a big, wall mounted set (Her eyes are getting weak - she's 57), but she had a fit about the 55". It's too big. I can't stand it. So I took it back and got a 46". and she is happy. When we were remodeling before our move, I had the house wired for sound. Every room has speakers, including our bedroom, all hooked in to the home sound setup, but our bedroom has its own separate amplifier which I thought would be better than the TV speakers. She hates that too. I did get a place in the closet for the amplifier and future VCR, etc. and a Radio Remote relay to communicate with stuff behind the wall. She has condescended to use the remote to listen to the radio (on the new speakers) so there is hope for her joining the 21st century at some future point.

Count No'Count
"When we moved to our "new" house three years ago I got a 55" TV for my wife. She had been watching TV on a 19"-er in the bedroom, and it was getting tired, so I wanted her to have a big, wall mounted set (Her eyes are getting weak - she's 57), but she had a fit about the 55". It's too big. I can't stand it. So I took it back and got a 46". and she is happy." - Count No'Count
-------------------

When I first started looking at TV's Michael Read was still with us. He suggested a 42" TV because that is what he thought would fit our living room. The space in wall where the TV goes would fit up to a 50" TV but MichaelRead said that it wouldn't have room to breath and let the heat out. I kept waffling back and forth and finally settled on a 47" TV. There seems to be plenty of room around the TV for air flow and it is a little big for our living room, but I like it! It's like having a movie theater in the living room. Pretty damn luxurious!

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
I will be 75 on April 8.

Happy birthday to you, too, Count!