Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read many articles on working after retirement BUT, none of them have mentioned the income tax that has to be paid on SS if you have earned income. I worked a few years after retirement while my wife drew SS. I had to pay income tax on a large portion of her SS because of my earned income. After I started to receive SS, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort to work for less then minimum wage due to the income tax penalty. This should be mentioned whenever "working when ANYONE in the family is drawing SS", not just the earnings limit. It seems the government wants us to work so they can get more taxes returned from our SS checks. Bob
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.