Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We are retiring early next year with two kids under 26. In theory our retiree health care plan provided by employer does not cover the kids, so I've been looking at options. This helped greatly: http://www.rwjf.org/content/dam/farm/reports/reports/2013/rw...

One thing I was not sure of was would we qualify for ACA subsidies if we had retiree health care available. Seems as though that is a yes, if you decline the retiree health care. But the burning question seems to be is the retiree health care subject to ACA regulation such as dependent coverage, and there the answer is it depends. If the health care plan in which retirees participate also used by active employees, then yes. If it is only for retirees, no. Some plans were grandfathered until 2014 and did not have to comply, but now do. So in evaluating your options, know the answer to this question. If any of you have kids in college and are looking to insure them there, if the college health care is self funded then they are not subject to the ACA requirements, though it still counts for the student as enough insurance to avoid penalty. If they buy through an insurer, then they are subject to the same ACA minimums like no cap on coverage.

I asked the question on these boards, and figured I would come back with some findings.

IP,
cross posted on Retire Early Camp Fire, Retirement Investing and Retired Fools
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.