No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to plan for an income of $100,000 per year after-tax cash flow for our retirement. Our $2.5 million portfolio consists of 65% equities and 35% fixed income investments. Living expenses for 2005 are in a money market fund, 2006 and 2007 are in a CD ladder and 2008 and 2009 are in short and intermediate-term bond funds. The rest of our portfolio consists of stock mutual funds. My question is, what strategy should I use to sell the stock mutual funds to replenish the fixed-income investments as they are used up? One option is to sell equities each year to replenish the $100,000 of fixed-income funds, in which case I'll be selling in both up and down markets? Or should I use some criteria that would result in selling equities in "good" times, when the market is up? How can I know when the "up" times are? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Foolishly yours,
donfool
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.