No. of Recommendations: 0
I'll probably be retiring in about 8 years or so and I've started to look around at the possibilities for life in retirement. Originally, I didn't like the idea of a retirement community at all. But lately I've thought of the benefits. But so far all of the retirement communities that I've looked at are built around golf courses. I've never liked golf, and I don't think I ever will. But they must add a lot to the costs--and the people who live in them probably like golf too. (I really don't get it--golf.) So, I'm looking for such a community without golf.

But the other thing is that I've lived in various states, all over the country; right now I'm living in South Carolina, and I can't see going to a place with snow. (And DW very much dislikes the desert.) So, I'm thinking of North or South Carolina. (Or some place pretty mild.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--SirTas
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Certainly in NJ there are numerous gated communities where no one under 16 is permitted to live. Rather than a golf course, most are built around a club house, which they say becomes the center of numerous social activities.

As people grow older, they tend to become isolated in their homes. The clubhouse style communities are famous for their numerous, almost daily activities, that can keep people going all the time.

You might want to retire before you decide and move to one of those only after some time. Numerous communities now have senior centers which allow the same level of activity but without being stuck with high monthly fees.

Many think they will be bored in retirement, but there can be lots of things to do through various systems. Church, clubs, friends, hobbies, all kinds of things become possible because you have time for more such activities you could never consider while you were working. So rather than make a choice now, personally I would wait a while and see how things develop for you.
"Many think they will be bored in retirement, but there can be lots of things to do through various systems. Church, clubs, friends, hobbies, all kinds of things become possible because you have time for more such activities you could never consider while you were working. So rather than make a choice now, personally I would wait a while and see how things develop for you.

Hi Paul,

I agree with you. I like living in my community, not just with a bunch of people my own age.. feels more like living, but thats just my view.

Also I took up woodworking which can be noisy at times... I suspect that would be a problem in some retirement housing situations.

I wonder if my motorcycle would be permitted??? Music too loud???

Ah well, I think I'll enjoy my home as long as I'm able ;-)

All the best,

Regards, Ken
SirTas,

There are several retirement communities in the Santa Barbara area where you pay an upfront fee (typically $100 K +) for an apartment and a monthly fee ($2-3 K). A number of people use such places as a second home or as a base for travel. This tends to be a cost effective way to live in this area, where property values are very high. Three highly rated places are Valle Verde and The Samarkand in Santa Barbara and Casa Dorinda in Montecito. Each offers a range of services from independent living through assisted living to full care. Meals are available. Julia Child lived at Casa Dorinda, as have other notables. Some folks buy adjoining units and have them converted into a single larger residence. Unless you insist on seasons, the weather is unbeatable (mid 70's in the summer, mid 60s in the winter). Caveat: Waiting lists can be several years long, especially for two bedroom apartments.

db
Gosh, you are in a beautiful area in SC. Granted, there is a golf course involved, but there are a couple of retirement communities being built around Lake Thurmond, etc. around Abbeville. Gene Pruitt, an attorney in Abbeville, might be able to give you the "low-down".

Donna (who does not want this to sound like an ad for Gene)
No. of Recommendations: 6
My mother lives at Rogue Valley Manor http://www.retirement.org/rvm/ (the building to the left of the couple in the picture). Even though there is a golf course (and driving onto the property looks like you are first entering a country club), Mother doesn't golf. However, Mother's time is taken up with water volleyball (she is a team captain, meaning she spends time on the phone getting players lined up to play on her team), quilting, various crafts, reading, taking trips to various plays (mostly in Ashland, with the Manor providing transportation), and going on various tours (a couple years ago she came through here on an Art Galleries of Oregon tour offered through a travel agency that has a presence in the Manor). There are also various speakers, presentations, different types of activities. Mother isn't a gardener, but she will occasionally mosey through the gardening area where residents get plots where they can grow things (flowers, various vegetables, tomatoes, strawberries). Mother doesn't go for board games or card games, but I think she mentioned that her sister does and is also a volunteer in the library in the basement.

Mother doesn't like gardening, so she decided to move into one of the main buildings (the two buildings shown provide meals and health care on their lower floors), but there are also a lot of cottages on the side of the hill where people who want their own detached housing will have their own cottages (complete with yard work if they so desire).

Oh, yes, about once a week Mother will go through the Valueline in the library and look at various stocks and occasionally even buys some companies. She reads some of the Fool research, also, but mostly for gleaning ideas of what to research in Valueline. Unlike me, she tends to not participate on the Fool boards.

When Mother lived in Chico, it was pretty easy to visit her--just call to make sure she was in town, and I would drive down. Now that she lives closer, it is harder to visit her--I have to call to make an appointment to visit because her schedule is quite full, and even then she is likely to have a commitment to play a Water Volleyball game or two during my visit.

Mother did mention one down side: they feed you so well that she gains weight when her children visit--she normally has a piece of toast for breakfast, but when we visit, the only way we get fed is when she joins us in the dining room, and then she eats too well. That could be why there ware weight machines, a swimming pool (with talk of building a second swimming pool) with various pool activities (including physical therapy in the water), dance, walking maps for the properties with distances measured, and some people do compete in a "Walk to New York" or similar challenges where they add up the miles walked until someone has walked the equivalent distance to New York, lawn bowling, jazercise, and probably more physical activities than I am aware of.

I did manage to reach her today by phone and she had returned from a trip to visit her other son and attend a quilting workshop. She still loves it at the Manor (she has been there for several years now). Her sister, who moved in about a year ago, also loves it there even though she also doesn't golf.

But for golfers ... any day there isn't ice on the grass, there are golfers on the grounds.
Gosh, you are in a beautiful area in SC.

Yeah, it does have a lot to recommend it. And another poster too said that maybe I should just think about staying where I am. So I guess I'll add that in as a possibility.

I was very attracted to the idea of a retirement community though after seeing the place my father (84 now) moved into. It's in Santa Rosa, in the wine country of northern California. Really nice. (And the weather is milder than here!)

--SirTas

We loved living in California, but when we lived there I rarely saw my east-coast-based family (especially distressing in regard to my young-adult children). Now that we're in South Carolina, we see them ~3 times as often even though they;re in DC and Boston <brrr!>. If you have children or anyone else you want to stay close to, you might consider that. Of course, one could locate near children/grandchildren and then they could move =8^0

Make sure wherever you go there's reliable high-speed Internet service! Speaking of which, there are tons of Web sites on the subject of retirement communties (books, too).
Forgot to mention that we have several retirement communities here in the Charleston area--Bishop Gadsden, Franke Home, and some place on Mathis Ferry Road (in Mt Pleasant) whose name I can't remember. There are more in the Hilton Head/Bluffton/Beaufort and Myrtle Beach areas as well as upstate. I believe that Hendersonville, NC has several retirement communities.
Have you thought about any of the Del Webb retirement communities? You must be 55 or older to live there, but you own your own (small) home with a small yard. They offer all levels of home maintenance, medical care, etc.

From their website, http://www.delwebb.com/Lifestyle/Default.aspx

Become a resident in a Del Webb Active Adult community, for people 55 or better, and you will take ownership of a new lifestyle. From our state-of-the-art fitness centers and exquisite golf courses to a variety of classes and clubs ranging from ceramics to computers to personal investing, Del Webb offers a lifestyle that allows you to set your own course. Whether you seek a resort style environment or a more intimate community, the lifestyle you're looking for is waiting for you.

I noticed that there is a new Del Webb location opening in Fall 2005 in South Carolina a short distance from Charlotte, NC. They plan 3300 new homes there. There will be a golf course, but lots of people will live there who don't play golf.

http://www.delwebb.com/Homefinder/ComingSoon.aspx?ID=100502

I have no affiliation with this company. I just happen to be considering the new location opening later this year in Frisco, Texas, which is quite near where I live.

Russ
I am in the process of moving to Bella Vista Arkansas. If you like rolling hills with lots of trees, it's a very nice area, and a lot cheaper to live in than Florida. If you are over 60, you can go to the state colleges and take courses for free and just buy your books. My Mom got her teaching certificate that way. It does have golf, but it has lots of other ammenities, too, and nice houses start at about $100k.
It is a retirement community that is unincorporated (largest unincorporated township in the country) The population is old enough that they don't have schools, and the kids bus to the next town over, which is about 8 miles (Bentonville, home of Walmart) Anyway, lots of people including myself are retiring there. It's about 1 hour to Fayettvile, 2 hours to Tulsa, 2 hours to Brandon, and 3 hours to Kansas City, so there is lots in the area if you enjoy civilization. Hal
I should have proofread it, I meant Branson, MO, not Brandon. Hal
No. of Recommendations: 1
OFF TOPIC...

"We loved living in California,

Hi alstroemeria,

I still love living in CA. Your user name caught my attention. I have alstroemerias growing in my yard thanks to the original owner. I've been here over 20 years and I have more color mixes than originally(12 or 13), guess the bees cross polinate and different combinations show up. Some years I harvest the seeds and have thrown them along the trail when I go hiking... Haven't seen one yet but who knows... I've probably scattered more than 100,000 seeds by now. I have a bag with 50,000-100,000 just waiting...

There are a couple of photos in my Yahoo album if you're interested... ( http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lv2dance/my_photos )

They can be difficult to get going as they tend to have a low germination rate.

I wouldn't expect you to give a stranger your address but if you have a PO Box or some such I would be happy to send you some if you wanted to give them a try

Take care,

Regards, Ken ("As Tim McGraw sings, "I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.")

If you want a Spell Checker for InternetExplorer or Firefox to check MF posts or other web forms: IE => http://www.iespell.com or for Firefox => http://tinyurl.com/3pdwt

"Because love does not do sums, but instead makes choices, and then gives its all."
From the story "The Burning Man" by Tad Williams (See I Corinthians Ch 13:4-13 it's in my profile quote)
I have alstroemerias growing in my yard thanks to the original owner.

For a moment I thought you bought my house, but then you said you've lived there for 20 years. Loved your pictures!

Alstroemeria should do alright in SC, but they don't seem to so far (not having much luck with agapanthas here either). They are slow to acclimate to a new location, though, so I'll hang on and maybe start some more in another bed. On the other hand, I'm doing much better with palms (pindos & palmettos) than I did in CA. And sagos, hibiscus, and bananas (non-fruiting).

oops--sorry to hijack the thread-
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'll probably be retiring in about 8 years or so and I've started to look around at the possibilities for life in retirement. Originally, I didn't like the idea of a retirement community at all. But lately I've thought of the benefits. But so far all of the retirement communities that I've looked at are built around golf courses.

I have the same time frame and have encountered the same problems you have (too many golf communities). It really does add a lot to maintenance costs, and I would much rather avoid it altogether. My sister moved to a very large, but older, community near Phoenix. What's great about hers is that the golf amenities are separate--a homeowner who wants to use them pays an annual fee, but the other homeowners pay nothing for its upkeep. My sister's 'common fees' are less than $500/year which includes use of the pool, community rooms, and 2 large and well-equipped exercise rooms.

I've done some fairly extensive investigation in NC, SC and TN and have not been able to find a retirement community that doesn't force you into a golf club. I've also found some communities that sound great from an aesthetic and environmental viewpoint, but they're NOT retirement communities.

Looks like we are between a rock and a hard place. Because of this, I'm considering a small condo in my sister's Phoenix community for the winter months, and perhaps a small house in the "high desert" near Prescott AZ for the summer months. I could probably get both for less than one of these golf communities cost, and cost is an issue for me.

2old

Found one for you Sir (in North Carolina):

http://www.delwebb.com/newsletter/Amberly_FS.pdf

I have no idea what the prices are going to be.

2old
Found one for you Sir (in North Carolina):

http://www.delwebb.com/newsletter/Amberly_FS.pdf

I have no idea what the prices are going to be.

2old

Thanks, 2old!

--SirTas