Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi All!

So, we are 57 and 58 and would like to retire within the next 5-7 years, without taking SS until we are 65-67. Unfortunately, due to company bankruptcies and health issues, we are late to the saving for retirement game. We are debt free, house paid off, emergency fund of 8 months in the bank, with minimal additional savings, as I have been investing everything due to low interest rates. While I'm a firm believer in holding investments for the long-term, in the long ago past, I never sold any of my investments once purchased(held 30+ yrs), until we were forced to liquidate during periods of unemployment to keep current on bills. I'm concerned about the current state of the market as we head into the end of the year and next year. I know it is time for a correction, which is fine and manageable, but given our age, we would need our investment funds to bridge us to SS and I worry that we are heading into a recession or depression which means our investment might not fully recover in 5-7 years. Would taking gains/profits now and banking them, make sense? Normally, this would never occur to me, but it is weighing on my mind now. Is anyone else having this internal discussion?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.