No. of Recommendations: 1
My retirement plan has changed from a defined benefit plan to a defined contribution plan. My retirement therefore will be dependent on my investments ability to produce income. I have been doing pretty well investing so far, but it is mostly through a stocks growth. I am curious how I change my investments to produce more income as I get closer to retirement.

Right now my portfolio produces about 1.8% yield from dividends. Even if I achieved a million bucks in stock that is only 18,000$ a year - not much of a retirement salary.

Does anyone know a good book or have good ideas on how to slowly convert your stocks into income producing investments. Of course I would like to preserve the principal and not chip away at it :)

Thanks
Cyclelex
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.