Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am currently employed with a small firm that does not offer any retirement options. My salary also exceeds AGI requirements for IRA contributions. I am speaking with my company to set up some type of retirement plan, but what else can I do to help grow a retirement portfolio with tax advantages? Everything I read, seems that I am out of luck since I fall into a unusual category.
Print the post Back To Top
I am currently employed with a small firm that does not offer any retirement options. My salary also exceeds AGI requirements for IRA contributions. I am speaking with my company to set up some type of retirement plan, but what else can I do to help grow a retirement portfolio with tax advantages? Everything I read, seems that I am out of luck since I fall into a unusual category.

You are eligible for a traditional IRA. The income limit only applies if you have a pension plan at work. Other than that, I don't know of any way other than variable annuities and I don't like them. I'd use some of Vanguard's tax avantaged funds, like Vanguard Tax Advantage Equity Income Fund.
Invest in an Variable annuity
Of Course there are income limits to deduct an IRA...you already knew that...Most people are uneducated re Variable Annuities....Agreed a tax-advantaged fund is ok if you plan on never selling the fund...i.e changing you asset allocation. Everytime you rebalance your portfolio it is taxable 20% for most people. You can re-balance in a V.A. without any tax liability. You can have multiple fund family managers with one statement (Janus, Fidelity, MFS Putnam Marsico etc) and you can have all those managers for a relatively small investment. Yes there is a M&E charge but I'd rather pay the 1% fee than the 20% cap gain to Uncle Sam....Capiche?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Mookie123 writes:

Yes there is a M&E charge but I'd rather pay the 1% fee than the 20% cap gain to Uncle Sam....Capiche?

Very well, thanks. The question is do you?? It's true most folks are uneducated about variable annuities. It's a shame, that. If more knew the ins and outs, they wouldn't sell as well as they do.

Variable annuities are fine for some folks, but not most. And given a 20% tax on gains at best versus a 28% or higher on gains in an annuity, guess which I would prefer? And also given a 0.2% fee in something like the Vanguard S&P 500 versus a 1% M&E in a variable annuity, is there any question in your mind which I would prefer?

As I said, variable annuities have their place. Just understand when they do. For an idea on what I mean by that, see my annuity articles beginning at http://www.fool.com/retirement/annuities/annuities01.htm?ref=LN

Regards..Pixy