Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Like many of you, I have investment funds in a couple different accounts (after-tax and tax deferred). Plus Social Security and a cash cushion in the bank. So what to withdraw from first? How to keep taxes down? How to ensure I'm not taking too much and depriving myself thereby leaving too much for my ungrateful heirs. Also, I don't want to take to much and cause the funds to run out too soon.

I considered paying a Financial Advisor for a retirement plan, but I'm not sure I can get what I need. Recently, a Foolish article I was reading pointed to a on-line retirement planner: i-ORP.com. It uses linear regression so that many points of data are used to compile results.

I tried the quickie results, then re-ran it with more of my investment details. The results are amazing! It showed me what my income will be each year (increased by 2.5% inflation each year) and where and how much to withdraw. Taxes are minimized. The plan goes year by year to age 92 or whatever age you want. Its only a "guide", so, use it with common sense (if the market is down, I'll make adjustments to the plan). I plan to run it each December to update my plan for the coming year.

Let me know if you find planners that are better online. i-ORP.com
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.