Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hello Everyone

I am approaching retirement age and have been googling about it but I seem to get more confused than enlightened. So I signed on to this board, hoping to get some idea. I have a few questions and hope you guys can shed some light. Thank you in advance for your help.

I am currently still working with a rather good pay and the company also provides decent healthcare coverage for me and my wife. So I am thinking maybe I want to work for another year or two after I turn 65. I am a little worried that staying home without much to do may actually be bad for my health physically and mentally. I'd like to get some info relating to SS benefits and Medicare.

• Do I have to sign up for Medicare around 65th birthday if I continue to work and have company-provided healthcare? If I don’t signup immediately, will I have to pay a penalty when I sign up eventually? If I do sign up, does that mean I have to pay both Medicare premium and premium for my company healthcare plan? That would be a sizable additional expenditure.

• My wife has just had her 65th birthday. Due to health reason she stopped working her paying job long time ago and didn’t earn enough points for Social Security benefits on her own. I did some googling and read somewhere that if I am qualified for Social Security, my wife might also qualify for some amount of Social Security benefit. I am not sure if that is true. I cannot find any definite info on that. Also Would my wife also be qualified for some Medicare benefit as a spouse?
Every time I tried to call SS office, I was put on hold for a really long time – more than 30 minutes – before I abandon the call. I will try again soon. But I hope I can get some info from your guys.

Thank you in advance.
Larry
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.