No. of Recommendations: 1
Early this morning (12/11/17) I was listening to the "Flash" briefing on one of our Amazon Echos. After local and BBC, the Motley Fool came on, and this segment was about how much you need to save for retirement. But the gist of the story as I understood related to the current self-funded retirement (i.e. 401Ks, IRAs, etc). While this is important information, I and I'm sure some of your other listeners might be government/former government employees, or retired military, where most of us will have a set amount per month (with some COLA), until the day we die. How much do we need to have saved?

And while I haven't made this the only part of our retirement (got to count the spouse!), I'm planning not to touch my TSP until the RMD at 70. I do plan to take the early social security when I turn 62, our house will be fully paid off in one year (if all keeps going as planned), and that will free-up my Air Force retirement (yes, I know that the impound account will be gone, and I'll be directly paying the insurance and taxes). I'll be 61 next month, and have been fully retired over four years at this point. We also have a small portfolio of stocks, mutual funds, and cash deposits. Like many others, I wish I'd bought Bitcoin over a year ago!
Best regards,

Not Uncle Howard
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.