No. of Recommendations: 0
I want to to use an old Western Digital 40gig IDE hard drive that used to be my main drive several years ago before I upgraded. I have not reformatted it because I have needed to go back and get some data off it from time to time. When I plug it in as the primary slave (I do have the jumper set correctly) my computer won't boot. It gets to the black screen after checking the memory and drives, but nothing happens after that. The drive shows up on the drive list, so the computer sees it.

I have also set the jumper to "cable select setting" and no change.

In BIOS, the boot devices are set to: 1 - CD, 2 - HDD-0, 3 - disabled.

I have changed the second boot device to HDD-1, thinking that having two bootable hard drives was confusing it, but still got the same the result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Barbara

Oh, yeah. Pentium 4 machine with XP Pro installed.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Have you checked the jumpers on the existing drive? It may need to be changed to indicate that a slave is present.

--Peter
What about just putting the extra drive in a USB case as an external?

E.g.:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145...

Ken
Peter, I already have a little 4 gig hdd as a slave and the computer boots fine, so I never thought to check the main hdd. I will pull it anyway and see if changing the jumpers on both drives to cable select will help.

Thanks.
Ken,

Thanks for that idea. I might look into it. Of course, I just ordered something from NewEgg a couple days ago!

Barbara
Any chance you can set the jumpers the same as your CD ROM and put it where your CDROM is? That should be enough to make it boot off the original hard drive.
Peter, I already have a little 4 gig hdd as a slave and the computer boots fine, so I never thought to check the main hdd. I will pull it anyway and see if changing the jumpers on both drives to cable select will help.

You have an existing master, slave, and CD/DVD, and you tried to add another slave? You probably put it on the same cable as the CD/DVD. How is that jumpered?
Further tinkering has determined that changing the jumper on both drives to "cable select" didn't work. So I switched the cable so the old drive is master and the newer drive is slave.

Computer starts, lists both drives along with the CD and DVD drives on startup. But when Windows comes up, I don't see the newer drive!

Both drives are Western Digital. The old drive is a 40gig and the newer one is a 500gig.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Barbara
Has the 500GB drive been used before? If not it probably needs to be initialized and formatted before Windows will understand what it is.

Charlie Brown
exeter17 - thank you! that worked! I used the cable connection from the DVD drive and now I have both drives. Now I have to do without the DVD drive or get a new CD/DVD drive, which I do need anyway since the DVD drive I have has never worked consistently and doesn't burn DVDs.
Warrl - I actually have a master and a slave hard drives and a master CD drive and a slave DVD drive.

But as I posted above, I tried putting the hard drive I want to use as a slave on the secondary IDE as a slave and it is working there. If I leave it there, I have to find a frame for it since it is half-sized. I did have a frame somewhere around here. Now to try to find it.

Thanks

Barbara
You can copy the data from the old tiny slow drive to the new one.

Do you have a SATA connector at all? The newer DVD writers will be SATA - you might be able to find an older IDE based CD writer.DVD reader (I'm not sure the DVD Writers with IDE was common).

If you want - PM me I have boxes of spare parts you pay shipping you can have something
"(I'm not sure the DVD Writers with IDE was common)"

They were - I still keep some new ones on the shelf to support legacy CAM systems in my shop. They're a little harder to find now but not impossible (new old stock on ebay etc).
B