Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
We are currently on the threshold of a revolution that will turn the pc world upside down. This revolution is the broadband. The broadband will threaten the very existence of intel and microsoft. The future of aol is bleak because it is based on old technology like the horse and buggy compared to the automobile. @home, on the other hand, is the product of new technology. Anyone reading this who has not experienced using @home on fiber optic cable [the broadband] cannot imagine what it is like. And it is only the beginning. You can't compare aol and @home because they are so different. The technologies upon which they are based are so different. Its like comparing a slingshot to a gun. A slingshot will propel a rock at so many feet per second, and a gun will propel a bullet at so many feet per second, but beyond that there is no comparison.
Aol is based on narrow bandwith using transistors for switching and routing and multiplexing.
With the new technology of broad bandwith the transitor becomes redundent because the pipe is fat and data flows through quickly. Hence the tremendous speed of data flowing to me through my @home connection.
Is @home a good investment? It seems richly priced to me. But it seemed richly priced when it was $31.00 a share. There is no question that it has tremendous possibilites. There is also no question that the old technology, the narrowband, is in a moribund state. The folks that run aol are smart. If they can figure out a way to get onto the cable system, or convince the government that @home has a monopoly then they have a future, otherwise they'll go the way of the 8 track tape player.
Other companies that are part of this revolution are Broadcom [brcm]makes the chips that go into the cable modems, Uniphase [unph] makes WDM modulators, Global Crossing [gblx] building an undersea fiber optic network connecting Europe, Asia, and the US, Qwest Communications [qwst] building a broadband fibre network. There are others which anyone interested can find.
As an investor I missed the pc computer revolution. The broadband revolution is giving me a second chance and I'm not going to miss it.
Check it out yourself. You will be floored by what you will find.
Happy hunting.
gd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.