Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
RHinCT writes: I'm on my third iPhone and have three iPads around. I have never touched Pages or Numbers, not because I don't do those functions but because I only do them on a computer with a proper keyboard and mouse, and that is a PC. Word, occasionally, but Excel daily. The idea of using a word processor, spreadsheet or other sophisticated software without those essentials - and a large screen! - makes me shudder. I imagine that if I were a MAC user I might sometimes venture into the tools on iOS for something super basic, but certainly not to do real work.

Understood. Not all users complete their work flow to the point they need to be able to access their documents and files across multiple devices from many places. Many do, though. I am constantly on the go from classroom to classroom to lecture hall, to another campus, to home, to office, to travel, conferences, etc... where a lot of workflow transpires outside of the time sitting at a desk. I also run spreadsheets daily and haven't viewed them on anything larger than a 13" monitor over the past 17 years. My wife is also constantly on the go doing her speech language pathology and uses a laptop, iPad, and iPhone with all of her specific niche software.

However...

Just wanted to point out how fast technology evolves and changes. Apple's newer iPad Pros work with the magic keyboard with trackpad, have mouse support, pack the punch of a much faster processor, have models with 11" and 12.9" screens and handle most people's workloads compared to a laptop. You can hook them up to a large monitor, your TV, and of course a boardroom/classroom projector. Not all careers involve the use of their devices only sitting at a desk using a desktop. Portability and mobility is a large target market of which various models of iPads could be a potential solution for a wide variety of users.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/apple-ipad-pro-2020-review-i....

I didn't mean to offend anyone regarding knowledge of various software such as Pages or Word on their devices. We all use the tools we need and know how to use to complete our workflow. Obviously, I can see how my comment about Word being around since 1983 and Pages since 2005 did offend some by saying how I was at a loss that users were not familiar with them in the year 2020.

The original point of the post in this thread was to help AdrianC who was having difficulty reading Scott's table due to his formatting in his blog post. I was as well, and simply copied and pasted his table into a word processing document and the table appeared with the proper formatting. So I was simply attempting to give him a tip on how to view it as he might run into a similar situation in the future as not all bloggers use proper formatting for the web when they post tables. That's why I wrote...

Pro Tip, Adrian: Copy and paste the table into Pages and voila - it is formatted correctly and you can easily read it.

It was never intended on my part to be any kind of a discussion or argument of one platform over another (PC vs. Mac). Those days are long gone, IMO. Rather, I was just pointing out a way AdrianC could view Scott's table.

BB
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.