No. of Recommendations: 0

Rich
I've assisted many over the years in setting up their SEPP. Brokerages used to help set these up when I was in the FP industry, but from what I'm hearing today, many have discontinued providing assistance in doing the calculations but will set up the separate TIRA and auto withdrawals as the owner instructs.

The SEPP is a minefield of rules that you must follow, depending on which method used in determining the withdrawal amount and the timing of the withdrawals. I wrote an article on how to do this 3 or so years ago at SA that you might find useful.....and hopefully none of the rules have changed.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/3984874-ira-withdrawals-age......

BruceM

If I'm the "correct" Rich, thanks. I think I'll be ok. I have to stay in my job until next summer due to not wanting to pay back relocation benefits. At that point I'll be 57.5. Most likely I'll keep working until 60 but if not, I have enough in taxable savings to bide me the two years until 59.5 and then at 60 I'll get a pension.

Fortunately I have in demand skills, its just a matter of do I really want to work? In my current (new) job, the answer is no due to the non-interesting work but I'm sure I an manage another 9 months and then look for something more interesting.

And I probably didn't think too much about early withdrawals because I thought there was an exception for government employees that retire at 56 but I might be wrong.

My main priority right now is to sit down with a tax expert and make sure I understand various options for retirement.

Thanks
Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.