Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Rich

In spite of your dislike of MDP's performance and lead advisor, I want you to consider Special Opportunties with Tom Jacobs, an intelligent, passionate investor. Lots of experience in his own investing company and interesting, novel ideas in the Joel Greenblatt way of investing.

You probably considered SPOPS. However, in light of your strong thoughts on the MF services, I wanted to provide my insight, rather than a MF PR blurb (although it may sound that way).

Tom is solely responsible for ALL investing decisions in Special Opportunities (what we like to call SPOPS) and stands by his convictions. The SPOPS real money portfolio is, amazingly, Tom's money! Holy guacomole (invented by the most interesting man in the world)!

Also, there are truly intelligent, informative, in-depth and spirited members providing discussions about the recommendations. Pretty much what you'd expect of a thriving membership. For a small community, the boards are popping!

Here is the real novel part of the service. The investments are varied. Distressed companies, turnarounds, special situations (!) such as a near term large dividend, IPO spinoffs, options of many stripes, jockey plays and activist plays.

All picks have clear catalysts identified and reviewed often. And a little different measuring stick to an investment - a risk/reward ratio minimum which determines the numerical worthiness of our investment.

I'm done. Come over to SPOPS and join the conversation. You can be a nerd here if you want.

Mark, cheerleading for SPOPS
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.