Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
richinaz: In most cases I guess you can use the 4% SWR as a way to compare a lump sum vs a pension.

For example $25K *4% = $1K pension.

It's not clear what you're responding to here, since you've just started the thread. Or is this in some way a continuation of the previous thread on annuities?

In any event, to compare them also requires knowing how the lump sum is created in the first place. I know that in my own instance--retiring in 2002 and opting for a lump sum instead of a pension--the lump sum was calculated as the Present Value of a hypothetical stream of payments that ran through to something like age 120, with the fraction of the fixed annual pension getting smaller each year based on the probability of my living through that age. The current prime interest rate was also factored into the calculation (the lower that was, the higher the resulting lump sum, given how PV is calculated).

And then you'd need to do some estimates based on how said lump sum is invested, what kind of growth (if any) can be anticipated, and how that then would lead to RMD payouts from an IRA--lump sums being eligible to be deposited in an IRA--

etc., etc.

I'm quite confident that in my case, whether or not the pension--had I taken it--had had a COLA provision, I've done better with the lump sum. And that's in no small measure because I've been a FOOLish investor with that lump sum these nearly twenty years (and even before)...

mathetes
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.