Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I was posting on a Christian board (I'm an atheist by the way) and the subject of Islam came up.

I was inundated by descriptions of Islam that mirror the more condemning descriptions of Christianity. To say the least, I was surprised.

People like to point to the more horrible scriptures in the Old Testament and use a very narrow focus to make the case that Christianity is a horrible religion. I'm sure you all might have noticed that. :o)

Of course, this is a dishonest tactic, and Christians are constantly defending themselves against it.

It absolutely surprised me to see them using the same tactic against your religion. I have been a fan of this board for years and years, and am grateful to you all for providing me with the opportunity to be at least informed about the facts and fallacies of Islam to some extent.

I tried to make the case that such misinterpretation of a religion by virtue of picking and choosing verses out of context is the enemy of all faiths, and is probably an immoral act. I am no enemy of Christianity or any other religion by the way. What I am is a person who doesn't know, but gets angry when absolute opinions are based on ones wishes things should be instead of what they are.

I must admit that I never hated Christianity more so than that day.

A personal failing, of course, but I couldn't seem to help it. I am over that now.

I am here today to ask if there has ever been a consummate website that explains the reality of Islam that includes all of the text of the Quran that is regularly taken out of context, and shows the meaning of those verses in reality. I have found much by taking each and every verse taken out of context and looking for the truth, but it would be wonderful if someone has created a snopes-like site that might suffice.

I'd like to say one other thing in closing-

It seems that the vast majority of Islam believes in the merciful nature of its followers, while the Christians always argue that "most" Christians only say that they are Christians, but the path is narrow.

As an atheist, I can't help but wonder what the world would be like if the majority believed in mercy.

k

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've addressed the consistent patterns of those (many but hardly all of them, IMO, Muslim) who so distort the Faith, but I'm beginning to feel a bit self-conscious for repeatedly linking to a post of my own. Not, apparently, self-conscious enough not to do it again, however. When I began the inquiry that ended in my conversion from a luke-warm Christian to a sincere Muslim I had to investigate these slanders myself, so here's a superficial account of my journey:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21340663

I never hated Christianity more so than that day.

I don't know that Christianity did that; some people who call themselves "Christians" (and perhaps a variety of bigots of other theological bents) did it. More specifically (I presume), fundamentalist Christians did it. Fundamentalist "Muslims" share the theological interpretations of these "Christians", and rig their arguments exactly the same way. Fundamentalists of different faiths, as much as they perhaps hate one another, have much more in common, IMHO, with one another than with their coreligionists.

the Christians always argue that "most" Christians only say that they are Christians, but the path is narrow.

My impression is much different than yours. I think most Christians are more accepting of diversity than you say, and that it is this tolerance that gets them the contempt of fundamentalist (and self-annointed "real" Christians), but neither your nor my impressions really offer any empirical evidence.

I think you'd like Karen Armstrong's The Battle or God.

Since I personally have never felt the need for a site like that you describe, I've no idea whether it exists, but I'll look into it for you. I do recall another Armstrong book, Islam: A Brief History, describing and itemizing some Qur'anic verses often taken from literary and historical context by bin Laden and the like. Let me repeat "historical", as that's a type of context too often overlooked in reading the Holy Qur'an.

Peace.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here's a nice response written to a specific but typical hack job written by a professional Islam basher:

http://www.islamicamagazine.com/content/view/159/59/
Sorry I didn't thank you for your response sooner.

k
Any time. Did it help?
Any time. Did it help?

It helped me.

I'm afraid that there are those that just won't accept anything but their own preconceived ideas. I think the reason for my anger is that these people aren't commenting on information I am presenting, but defending a position that I haven't even brought up!

I was actually accused of preaching! :o)

Is there anything in the Quran that talks about fear being the root of all senseless aggression?

k

I'm afraid that there are those that just won't accept anything but their own preconceived ideas. I think the reason for my anger is that these people aren't commenting on information I am presenting, but defending a position that I haven't even brought up!

You have just gotten a tiny taste of what it's like to be Muslim in America. There are surely worse places to be, and in fact the US is wonderful for its Constitutional protections of religious belief, but the people you mention do nothing themselves to make it pleasant here. Many or most of them have no clue they're bigots, which makes them hard to reach, and the ones who know what they are don't care, which makes it pointless to try reaching them. It can be frustrating.

By the way, here's another link re the common distortions inflicted on the Holy Qur'an by quoting from context.

http://www.submission.info/perspectives/striving/wars.html
Hi khalou,

I am sorry that you ran in to such a detestable crowd, but sadly, it is inevitable. I decided a long time ago that when people are insecure in their own faith, no matter what religion they are, they will find every reason to condemn others, regardless of the accuracy of their statements.

I do not know of any such website, and have tried to compile a list myself, but ran out of time and energy. I will let you know if I find anything.

Munira