Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Riding the winners can be very dangerous. A stock will reverse direction instantly, whenever more people want to sell than want to buy. There is no way to predict when that will happen, and no way to recognize when it happens except after the fact when it is too late.

However, you can protect yourself from the reversal by placing stop loss orders at a chosen percentage (7% is common) below the price. The disadvantage of this is that you may get 'stopped out' on normal volatility. You can also buy a protective PUT. The advantage of the PUT is that you can wait for the price to come back up after a period of high volatility. Then, if it doesn't come back, you exercise the PUT right before it expires.

I don't believe in momentum, so when I think a stock is too high for market conditions, I start asking myself questions. If I had new money, would I invest it in this stock? If I sold, would I have a better place for the money?

Personally, I like to sell when I start feeing uncomfortable, lock in the gains, and reinvest in a better opportunity and never look back. That's what I did with my REITs last year, and I reinvested in DVY. I sleep a lot better at night now.

Russ
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.