Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
Right now, I'm paying the property taxes for my parents on their house (general, town, & school).

At this point, am I allowed to deduct the property taxes I pay off in my income tax return when I itemize next year? I should clearly state that my name is not on the deed anywhere.

No. In this scenario no one gets the deduction. You must both be liable for and pay the taxes to have a deduction.

If not, what would I need to do/who would I need to contact (e.g. what kind of lawyer?) in order to make this happen?

Short answer: Get your name on the deed as a co-owner.

Long answer: "Short" is also the root of shortsighted. There are a lot of implications to just plopping your name on the deed. Your ownership is a gift, which may impose a gift tax filing requirement on your parents. You lose the stepped-up basis on the gifted portion should you inherit the property someday. Their home becomes exposed to your creditors.

You and your parents should consult an attorney who knows property law and has access to good tax advice.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.