Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The last time you read ANYTHING out of a published book, what was it?

This does not include magazines, company procedure manuals, etc. But it does include technical manuals, text books, etc.

Print the post Back To Top
Origin of Species - By Charles Darwin
I don't get the question, do you want us to write the name of the book or the last sentence we read, what?

Kathy...reading "The Cat Who Saw Stars"
I don't get the question, do you want us to write the name of the book or the last sentence we read, what?

Sorry, just the name of the book... Author if you want... If you remember the last sentence that might be fun too.

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

no, it was

Three Junes by Glass

no, it was

Atonement by McEwan (well after three attempts)

no, it was

Middle Age: A Romance by Joyce Carol Oates

no, it was

The Secret Life of Bees

Seriously, I read several books at the same time...kind of random that way and I have books at school to read for reading workshop with students.

Best book: Atonement and the Joyce Carol Oates one.

Also, Back When we were Grownups by Tyler...connected to that one big time.

RBS
Seriously, I read several books at the same time...kind of random that way ...

Yes, but only one of them did you read last.
Well as I said earlier I'm reading The Cat Who Saw Stars...it's my first "cat" book and to be honest, I'm annoyed by it.....I'm almost to the end and I haven't seen any investigating what so ever and now they are trying to tell me that these 2 cats are going to solve the murders?

Just what is this author smoking???

Kathy
Jingo by Terry Pratchett.

Thuvia
then The Fifth Elephant and then Night Watch and then The Piano Turner and then Jewish Confederates
I'm rereading George RR Martin's _ A Game of Thrones _. Sandor Clegane just threaten to kill Sansa Stark if she every tells anyone the childhood story he told her when he was drunk.

AGoT and sequels are a great fantasy series in a medievalish non-earth world with some magical stuff.

Besides being excellent, it is real good for twiting snobs who want to claim the "Extruded Fantasy Product" means something besides "Fantasy I don't like". :-)}

But I digress.

-CB
Currently reading Changer by Jane Lindskold. I read two of her more recent books, Through Wolf's Eyes and Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart in the last few weeks and decided to try an older work by her. Only on page 5 but interesting so far.

Moonglade
George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series is among the best I have ever read. I believe the new one is slated to come out late Spring (April or May).

Moonglade
Bartender's Guide :)

Bartender's Guide :)

That's more like it.
<<Bartender's Guide :)

That's more like it.
>>

Oh, were we suppose to be honest? So I was reading this weeks People about all those rich brats and what they're worth.

Kathy
'Lost Discoveries' by Dick Teresi.
<Yes, but only one of them did you read last.>

Details, details...The Next Big Thing by Anita Brookner

Boy, way harsh...

RBS
"The Lexus and the Olive Tree" by Thomas L. Friedman

"You will never understand the globalization system or the front page of the morning paper, unless you see it as a complex interaction between all three [..] states bumping up against Supermarkets, and Supermarkets and states bumping up against Super-empowered individuals."
Gould's Book of Fish - Richard Flanagan

And so far, it's excellent. The blurbs make it sound like the next Ulysses or Moby Dick, but the verdict is out. Certainly goes down easier than either of those...

Sophie's Choice. I just started re-reading it. I don't know why.

Erik
No. of Recommendations: 1
Presently working on "Good Poems," edited by Garrison Keiler. It is just a wooooooonderful collection of poems, arranged thematically as only Keiler can.

My wife gave it to me for Christmas. I read from it to a 98 year old woman from church when I visit her. She published an anthology of her poetry when she was in her late 70's. Macular degeneration is setting in so I just read a few poems to her.

She is a classicist who pines for the days of meter and rhyme. We were discussing, "what then is poetry if there isn't metric and rhyme?" <She knows I free free verse>. I grabbed a book sitting on her mantel, from Billy Collins, the US Poet Laureate:

"The urge to tie the poem to the chair
with rope and torture a confession out of it..."

She immediate saw the humor in his words, howled in laughter, and said, "I give up."

IvanGrowth
LakeCheddar
We got Garrison's Good Poems for Christmas, too!! they read easily, and out loud, too. But then, they are poems he read on his radio Almanac.
The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

-Ortman
Ditto for The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
Unless it is Theory of Interest, which I am studing for the Actuarial Exams.

I just finished Kavalier and Clay

Ford
Ford:
I just finished Kavalier and Clay

Apparently we self-proclaimed Geeks share many interests. :)

-Ortman
Even though you said the "last", I'm going to give the last 3 as I read something out of them at the same sitting.

A chapter or two from the "Hobbit" by Tolkien.
A few pages from a kids book, "The Skull of Truth"
A few pages from my Spanish textbook from the Spanish class that I'm taking.
Greetings,

Just finished, Twenty thousand leagues under the sea, by Jules Verne
nad My Secret Life (vol II) by Anonymous (a most prolific author of Victorian era erotica).

and I'm 66 pages into Notre Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo.

Warming up in the bullpen: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett.

Cheers,

Just finished, Twenty thousand leagues under the sea, by Jules Verne
nad My Secret Life (vol II) by Anonymous (a most prolific author of Victorian era erotica).

and I'm 66 pages into Notre Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo.

Warming up in the bullpen: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Someone has excellent taste.

IvanGrowth

Harm None by MR Sellars.

Mark
Foundations and Concrete Work
by the editors of Fine Homebuilding Magazine.
:)
((just arrived from Amazon today and I excitedly dug into it
immediately before discovering this board for the first time.
About to dive into a HUGE addition/renovation project.
too bad it couldn't of been something .. you know .. 'sexier', eh?))

nl
'Beyond the Bestseller', by Richard Curtis
Oh my gosh! No wonder we get along so well - we have the same reading list! I listened to 3 Junes on my MP3 player while walking. I got in a lot of exercise - Loved it!

I read Back When We were Grownups a few months ago - I think it is her best since Ladder of Years.

We read Attonement for my Book group - loved that, too. Very dense, very thought provoking.

Then I read "On Writing" by Stephen King and decided he was quite talented, not the hack I thought he had been so I read "Hearts in Atlantis" So so - for a guy who preaches " don't use uneccessary words" that book was at least twice as long as it needed to be.

Then I read Ava's Man by Rick Bragg and now I'm reading 'The Little Friend' by Donna Tartt. I also need to read "The Secret Life of Edgar Mint' by the 26th for my book group.

P. <--- avid reader of fiction and total book junkie.
Oh my gosh! No wonder we get along so well - we have the same reading list! I listened to 3 Junes on my MP3 player while walking. I got in a lot of exercise - Loved it!

Wow! I'd say...I'm gonna check the books you mention cause it's clear we like the same stuff! I am a book junkie too. Always have one with me. I gotta try your MP3 idea...it could get me walking out in the heat.

There is one other one I read on a plane ride that resonated with me...be right back, can't remember the title...Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher. It is about being alone and finding love and joy late in life. It is a good read and life affirming.

I really loved Back When we Were Grownups! Also, Middle Age: A love Affair by Joyce Carol Oates...very revealing.

:) SF nice place to walk...

rbs
Martha Peake by Patrick McGrath. He also wrote Asylum which was awesome and Spider, recently made into a movie.
Hey....I just finished a great book by Anita Shreve (clearly another movie book) but well worth it.

The Last Time They Met

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316781266/qid=1050747078/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-6837303-9699150

Buy it used for $ .48!

rbs
I just read 'The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint' by Brady Udall and then saw him at an author's event. I loved the book - one of those that you drag your feet finishing because you don't want to give up spending time with the characters. Highly recommend it.

The lead in for the book (which is why I bought it):
"If I could tell you only one thing about my life it would be this: when I was seven years old the mailman ran over my head. As formative events go, nothing else comes close..."

P.