Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
Our splintered mediasphere is fertile grounds for misinformation, lies and propaganda. And the right shamelessly embraces every form of deception.

The right’s viral misinformation campaign on Afghanistan

The U.S. military says it did not leave any military dogs behind in Afghanistan. (It appears that about 50 contract dogs might have been left behind.)

A man hanging from a helicopter was not being killed by the Taliban; fact-checkers said it appears he was trying to place a Taliban flag on a building.

Biden did not skip a ceremony for the final 13 Americans killed in Afghanistan.

And the Taliban did not seize $80 billion in American weapons and gear from the war (though it’s estimated they did salvage billions worth of gear).
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
But the political right — from Trump to Sen. Ted Cruz to Fox News’s Sean Hannity — have elevated, promoted and at times even appeared to deliberately mislead on what’s happening after the U.S. left Afghanistan.

What a surprise. Like this is something new?
No. of Recommendations: 4
Biden did not skip a ceremony for the final 13 Americans killed in Afghanistan.
FWIW I saw footage of President Biden at Dover alongside the Secretary of Defense honoring the lost Americans, before I saw the lie. He's an experienced politician like few others and this was an easy decision.

I was a little surprised at the blatant lie, but it just goes to show that the right will lie about anything and everything. They know that some of their base is too dumb or too busy to know about reality.

And the Taliban did not seize $80 billion in American weapons and gear from the war (though it’s estimated they did salvage billions worth of gear).
We gave aircraft and helicopters to an army that mostly can't read and write. Once we gave it the Afghans, it was their to use or lose as they could. What are the odds that the Taliban can make any use of equipment more advanced that a truck?
No. of Recommendations: 1
What are the odds that the Taliban can make any use of equipment more advanced that a truck?

Depending on what it is, they don't need very many people to know how to use it. Or they could sell those items to other people.
No. of Recommendations: 3
“Sell to other people “

How does delivery work? FedEx? This place is full of mountains with few roads.

Also you think we left all of that in pristine condition?
No. of Recommendations: 0
How does delivery work?

I'm not an expert on black market arms deals, but weapons seem to find their way to all corners of the world regardless of roads.