Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
Yes, they want to run our country starting next year. With the Grand Poobah Joe out in front.

An·ti·fa
/'an(t)e?fä,?an'tef?/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a political protest movement comprising autonomous groups affiliated by their militant opposition to fascism and other forms of extreme right-wing ideology.
"Saturday's rally had the support of Antifa, whose sworn enemy is the far right"
No. of Recommendations: 19
If some guy says to his buddy "Hey, looks like there might be some action downtown, grab that crowbar and let's go get a new TV", then it's a conspiracy.
If it's sent by app to a bunch of people, same thing, maybe just more locations.

Not all conspiracies involve webs of intrigue and secret handshakes.
Most criminals aren't masterminds.

Jim
No. of Recommendations: 4
"But I can't help but wonder if there is a conspiracy involved. Furthermore, I've heard that a large percentage of the rioters were not from the areas they destroyed."

First of all, how do you define not from areas they destroyed? Is someone from St. Paul not from the area of Minneapolis? I have seen people drive two hours and wait in a long line to try and win free tickets to a concert. It wouldn't surprise me if some idiots see reports of protesting and high tensions in a nearby city and then drive two hours to see if they can get a free pair of Nikes from Foot Locker.

Secondly, I think it is just human nature and in the best interests for all involved to say it is outsiders. If you are the Mayor of a city, do you really want to be on camera attacking the citizens of that town as looters? Easier to believe (and propagate) reports that is was outsiders. If you were there to protest peacefully and things get out of hand and looting starts you don't want to think that people who think like you about the protest would stoop to looting, so you take the easy way and believe the reports of outsiders.
No. of Recommendations: 47
"Yes, they want to run our country starting next year. With the Grand Poobah Joe out in front.

An·ti·fa"

This is just nutty boogieman stuff told to ignorant children to keep them afraid.

On the other hand, I somehow have difficulty believing that there’s a network of evildoers out there waiting for that phone call, text message, or email message to all start riots simultaneously. If this conspiracy existed, at least one of them would have blown it open by now, right?

It’s a self-organizing thing. People see the Floyd video on the internet, they see reports of protests and looting on TV in Minneapolis, someone posts in a local Facebook group or via Whatsapp that they should also have a demonstration in their city, a few thousand people show up, next day it’s 10 times as many, and some of them take the opportunity to loot.

There’s no grand conspiracy. It’s the viral nature of social networking aided by sensationalist TV coverage.
No. of Recommendations: 2
The internet has made the “connections” between radical groups possible and for them to form and gather quickly.
No. of Recommendations: 51
I think discussing divisive political and social topics on a board meant for discussing BRK and investing is dangerous to the continued success of the board.

According to the poll in post 253415, a minority of 12% of responders picked "Without limitations about everything: Riots, SpaceX, Corona, Trump, Musk, Merkel..."

One can read posts about such topics anywhere. However it's very hard to find insightful online discussion about BRK and investing elsewhere.
No. of Recommendations: 9
Yeah, Arlington Cemetery is full of anti-fascist types, including my highly-decorated uncle.
So from discussing stocks, valuation, CAPE, pandemic, now you guys are discussing conspiracies?? OH boy.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here is an analysis of a very interesting phone conversation! (7.02 minute video)
We seek your opinion- good or bad??.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leMAOVItrPA
The subject matter of my previous post is related to the economy and investments as they are obviously
strongly influenced by the current riots and handling of COVID-19. FYI
No. of Recommendations: 8
So from discussing stocks, valuation, CAPE, pandemic, now you guys are discussing conspiracies??

And I came here to read about Tesla cars. WHERE ARE THE TESLA POSTS????
No. of Recommendations: 2
The pandemic posts, political posts far outweigh any Tesla posts.
If some guy says to his buddy “Hey, looks like there might be some action downtown, grab that crowbar and let’s go get a new TV”, then it’s a conspiracy.

Technology will solve this problem eventually, as televisions will eventually get so large that they cannot be transported anymore other than with specialized equipment.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Technology will solve this problem eventually, as televisions will eventually get so large that they cannot be transported anymore other than with specialized equipment.

Or, Tesla or Waymo will develop self driving cars, with specialized "grabber arms" that can be run remotely to enter a store in a riot and grab the good stuff, then use it's awesome acceration to high-tail it out of the city, back to the ownners rich suburban home.

(there ya go, able to integrate a Tesla subject into the present discussion)
No. of Recommendations: 12
(there ya go, able to integrate a Tesla subject into the present discussion)

Maybe a general rule to avoid topics wherein the main protagonist is clearly breaking laws repeatedly?
That could cover a lot of ground and get us mostly back on topic.

Jim
No. of Recommendations: 1

Somewhat the opposite. Back in the days of CRTs, I read a crime report column about someone who tried to steal a large TV, carrying it away propped on their bike, which they pushed. Given the immense weight of the device, they were moving very slowly and were easily caught. Now an much larger flat panel TV is a tiny fraction of that weight. Eventually they'll roll up and can be stuffed into a poster tube for quick getaways.
Somewhat the opposite. Back in the days of CRTs, I read a crime report column about someone who
tried to steal a large TV, carrying it away propped on their bike, which they pushed.
Given the immense weight of the device, they were moving very slowly and were easily caught.
Now an much larger flat panel TV is a tiny fraction of that weight. Eventually they'll roll up and
can be stuffed into a poster tube for quick getaways.

Naw, technology will fix it in a different way.
TVs used to be very expensive in terms of days of paid work required to buy one.
Now they're so cheap that thieves don't generally bother to take them.
Same with car stereos and desktop computers and silverware.
Laptops are most of the way there.
If it isn't cash, credit card, jewellery or an iPhone, most will just leave it.

Jim
TVs used to be very expensive in terms of days of paid work required to buy one.

When my grandfather retired, around 1950, the company he worked for gave him a television receiver instead of a watch. He had been the director of a laboratory pioneering television in the 1920s.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/08/how-everyd...

It was an RCA 630 TS that was black and white, about a ten-inch diagonal screen. It had seven control knobs, and was all vacuum tubes inside. It took most of a desk-top to support it. I believe they cost about $595 in those days, back when the US dollar was $35/ounce. Using the gold standard, $595 then would be $29,172 today. I wonder what the most expensive flat-screen color TV would cost these days. Probably less than $29,000.

https://archive.org/stream/bstj6-4-551/bstj6-4-551_djvu.txt
<< TVs used to be very expensive in terms of days of paid work required to buy one. >>

In 1959, my father received a black & white television set
as a wedding gift from his father-in-law. It cost $400,
only got 3 stations, maybe 4 with UHF.

I think this worked out to about 200 hours of labor,
say perhaps one month's wages.

-Rubic
No. of Recommendations: 9
Putting this here because it is the topic.

I do think the riots and what's going on is hugely relevant to BRK and stocks in general. Does no one else hear remember Charlie Munger talking about all politics being the marshalling of hatreds?...Or that he worries about the extreme hatred on both sides of the isle because it is a breeding ground for extreme results? Charlie: 'I am not as optimistic as Warren long term based upon what I see in society and you people are going to have to figure this out without me because I am near death'. etc...etc.

I agree completely with not turning the BRK board in to a politicized place to rant on or parrot the typical right/left arguments. I just don't see how anyone can operate in a vacuum where social disorder, unrest and the destruction of huge swaths of small and large businesses doesn't matter.

Anyway, this showed up in my highly curated twitter feed today RE: Antifa very much being an organized thing. There's lots of other evidence of same with crates and pallets of bricks being dropped off on city corners by instigators and other methods of sowing disorder.
https://www.projectveritas.com/news/antifa-practice-things-l...
No. of Recommendations: 26
Your twitter feed needs a better curator. Project Veritas is one of the worst right wing muckrakers out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Veritas
Anyway, this showed up in my highly curated twitter feed today RE: Antifa very much being an organized thing. There's lots of other evidence of same with crates and pallets of bricks being dropped off on city corners by instigators and other methods of sowing disorder.
https://www.projectveritas.com/news/antifa-practice-things-l......

Be careful out there...

"Project Veritas is an American right-wing activist group. The group uses "disguises and hidden cameras to uncover supposed liberal bias and corruption". The group is known for producing deceptively edited videos about media organizations and left-leaning groups."
No. of Recommendations: 19
Antifa very much being an organized thing.
It is very hard to differentiate between fact and fiction. A section of the society is trying to discredit the entire protests by looting, and spreading wrong information about looting. You cannot justify looting, but painting massive protests across all major cities, and towns as "organized looting" is a shameful, smear campaign. Most of the so-called "evidence" is discredited. Most "lootings" have occurred "organically" and not because of any "organized crime".

For context, the number of retail shops that are impacted by the looting (including shops that have to be closed in fear/ caution) is less than 2%. I would like to view this looting as an aberration and not a long-term concern for the retail or overall economy. However, real long-term concern for retailers (like Home Depot) are real organized theft, they are so brazen, they walk-in and take what they want and walk out. Retailers have instructed their employees not to fight these armed bandits because of the shootings. Many local PD's turn blind eye and now retailers work with FBI to deal with this. That kind of slippage is roughly about 3% of retail sales. Do you know where these "organized theft" takes place most? and the racial profile of these organized crimes? It happens 80% in red states by white Americans. It is a relevant issue for insurance, yet nobody had discussed that in the past.

Facts are very inconvenient.
There's lots of other evidence of same with crates and pallets of bricks being dropped off on city corners by instigators a

Mostly false
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pallets-of-bricks-protest-...

highly Curated twitter feed

Ho ho ho. Projects Veritas. Complete fail.

Project Veritas is an American right-wing activist group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Veritas
Yup, nothing to see here folks. Move along. It's all a right wing conspiracy. There's no other evidence anywhere else that Antifa is agitating and instigating in some of the hardest hit area's
Total fail on my part. The shame I feel is immense. I'll have to unfollow the investor that tweeted that veritas link and try to find salvation. Pfffff

I'll have to unfollow the investor who shared this too. More propaganda obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgrW7K3q3E&fbclid=IwAR0...

I spoke to a fellow fisherman from NY last night looking for some advice on a boat I had surveyed previously. Just so happens that he owns liquor stores in the city. He said they often get a heads up from police that things are heading into the area and that it's very organized. Usually a few cars show up first and start throwing bricks and breaking windows to get things going and then leave right away. He must have been planted by the conspiracy too.

The imperial college models were all correct. Masks don't protect you...until they do. Wash your hands like a hand Nazi!...until suddenly the virus isn't transmitted that way anymore in 94% of cases, yada yada yada.

Conformity Matters.

I don't think it's a coincidence that many of the investors in my feed on twitter use to be active here or on similar Value boards on TMF and they can't seem to be bothered anymore.
No. of Recommendations: 12
Of course these pallets of bricks are a legitimate topic of discussion for the Berkshire Board.

Berkshire owns a brick company! Which, makes Warren and Charlie complicit. More likely, when you think about it, Charlie is a pawn in Warren’s game. He was a republican, right! Notice Warren rarely talks about Acme and he’s the one who does most of the talking. I wonder why. Very curious, don’t you think? I always thought bricks were for construction. Clever to use such ubiquitous items by antifa!

And, what about us, as stockholders? What fools we’ve been!

Ps. I’m really scared now. I took a walk and noticed bricks and rubble at construction sites, and bits of broken pavement conveniently close to our small town. Antifa here, too!

Thank you for posting such enlightened links. Conspiracies are, indeed, everywhere!!!! I didn’t know that.
I had no idea that you were certifiably crazy until this thread.
Yup, nothing to see here folks. Move along. It's all a right-wing conspiracy. There's no other evidence anywhere else that Antifa is agitating and instigating in some of the hardest-hit area's

I will hold my views until real, credible evidence comes up. What I have seen is armed White Americans are intimidating, instigating peaceful protests and it is such a threat cops have to protect the marchers! And often these are not the locals, but groups who drove 500, 1000 miles.

I have seen heavily armed white Americans threaten a state capital, governor, and many peaceful rallies. Their second amendment right to openly carry weapons which can shoot 100's of bullets per minute get far better protection than a young student's first amendment right to protest police brutality.

I hold rioting folks and these Armed citizens showing up in a peaceful protest at contempt. Both groups have no place in a decent society and in a democracy.

Separately, how are your value friends doing? Have they made any money lately?