No. of Recommendations: 0
Dallas will never be the same.

To me, he'll always be the guy on "I Dream of Jeanie."

Same here.

Yeah, los siento amigos y amigas.
Print the post Back To Top
Southfork Land in Romania.
http://www.ultimatedallas.com/dallasnews/2001/04/28/southfor...

We were just talking about it yesterday with my kids who are heading over to Romania next summer for 2 years. The fake Vlad castle in Transylvania, SOuthfork and the Black Sea are about all there is in Romania to look at.

I, too, remember Larry Hagman on I Dream of Jeanie. Never got into Dallas because I don't do soap operas.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 1
heard on a news report on NPR this morning that in an interview he said that when he died he wanted to be put in a wood chipper and spread over the field and the crops that grew would feed his friends.

I liked him alot. He was a alcoholic who stopped in 1992 when dr told him he had cirrhosis of the liver and would be dead in 6 months. Stopped smoking in 95 after another cancer diagnosis.
Quite a tough fellow to have had all that cancer and lived 'til 89.

RIP Larry
Quoted: heard on a news report on NPR this morning that in an interview he said that when he died he wanted to be put in a wood chipper and spread over the field and the crops that grew would feed his friends.

How gruesome. He could be cremated and his ashes turned into the soil. This would accomplish the same thing, only more sanitary.
yeah more sanitary but less farcical. :)
No. of Recommendations: 3
Well, living here in Dallas, I finally visited "South Fork" in Dallas (just outside of Dallas) about 2 years ago, just out of curiosity.

South Fork is actually a personal private residence and ranch that the Hollywood types bought from a private owner in the 1970's to make the show Dallas. This owner was pretty wealthy, owned horses in the stables, etc. The Hollywood types, looking for a place to film their show Dallas, literally landed their helicopter, while basically randomly scouting, on their open space between the very uppity ranch house and the horse stables. And it was then, that they met the owner and had their negotiations.

I visited the complex South Forks about 2-3 years ago....just outside out town. Many of the living room scenes and pool scenes occurred there (yes, other scenes occurred in Hollywood studios in Calif).

But the tour was amazing....paid abour $15 or so?? Went through the House, sat in the living room....and this very nice, old well-spoken lady gave us the lo-down....wow, she knew everything. all the anedotes about the stars, the filming in the house, everything.....and we did all this while sitting there in the living room.

Nice experience.
I finally visited "South Fork" in Dallas (just outside of Dallas) about 2 years ago, just out of curiosity.

How does it compare to Graceland?

--fleg
<<<I finally visited "South Fork" in Dallas (just outside of Dallas) about 2 years ago, just out of curiosity.>>>

--fleg

The Knotts Landing tour was better.
No. of Recommendations: 1
The Knotts Landing tour was better.

Did they land at the berry farm?

--fleg
I must point out that Larry Hagman was 81 yrs. old.

LD stickler for details(at times)
I finally visited "South Fork" in Dallas (just outside of Dallas) about 2 years ago, just out of curiosity.

I drive by the house that the 'Amityville Horror' was supposedly based on from time to time

next time I pass by, I will say hello to both Larry and Elvis for you folks.
"I finally visited "South Fork" in Dallas (just outside of Dallas) about 2 years ago, just out of curiosity."

The 'mansion' is a lot lot smaller than you imagine from watching TV.

The driveway is very short.....they loop the film to make it appear much longer.....remember, this was a 'set' for the TV series and very few of the episodes were actually shot here...and of those that had scenes done at the house, it was usually in the 'dining room'.....or outside by the pool......

TV cameras can do a lot to 'enhance' by 500% what actually exists.

Still, if you are a 'fan' of the show, there is a nice museum there.

They have a large building that holds a couple hundred and many events are held 'out at the ranch' in Parker TX like company holiday parties, etc. Weddings......celebrations...... went out there a few times for events, and did the tour of the house once or twice..usually when out of state visitors wanted to see it.

Otherwise.....don't drive too far out of your way to see it.

t
I drive by the house that the 'Amityville Horror' was supposedly based on from time to time

I have not seen the house that was used in "Rose Red" (it's south of Tacoma WA) but I have driven through the place in Seattle where its front gate allegedly sat. It's a rather busy intersection, and to get exactly the right view I am pretty sure the gate would have been pretty much in the middle of said intersection.
To me, he'll always be the guy on "I Dream of Jeanie."

Me too. For some reason I never got into watching "Dallas" regularly.
Southfork Land in Romania.
http://www.ultimatedallas.com/dallasnews/2001/04/28/southfor......

We were just talking about it yesterday with my kids who are heading over to Romania next summer for 2 years. The fake Vlad castle in Transylvania, SOuthfork and the Black Sea are about all there is in Romania to look at.

And then there's Sunninghill in England -- the Royal estate the Queen had built for Prince Andrew and Fergie (the Duke and Duchess of York) when they married... the sprawling house was mockingly dubbed "Southyork" by the press. Sadly, at some point the house was sold to a Kazakh tycoon who never moved into it and now the house is in ruins:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1153465/The-fall-hou...
But the tour was amazing....paid abour $15 or so?? Went through the House, sat in the living room....and this very nice, old well-spoken lady gave us the lo-down....wow, she knew everything. all the anedotes about the stars, the filming in the house, everything.....and we did all this while sitting there in the living room.

Nice experience.

Interesting. Usually on those house tours they never let you sit on the furniture.
Here are two house tours I've really enjoyed:

Casa Loma, Toronto:

http://www.casaloma.org/

Stan Hywet (pronounced "Hewitt") Hall, Akron, Ohio:

http://www.stanhywet.org/
I visited Boldt Castle on Heart Island in the St Lawrence (1000 Islands) in 1964 and then again in about 1989. It was falling to bits in 1964. By 1989, the Canadian park service was starting to gussy it up. Just last year, my brother went there, and it was quite charming. andrew would like it.

http://www.boldtcastle.com/visitorinfo/

arrete - in 1964, there were no furnishings because there was no way to keep the weather out.