Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
Just got this e-mail from Photon:

We are very sad to report that Phil Marti passed away this morning, Wednesday April 16, 2014, shortly before 1:00 a.m.

As you know, Phil had had a series of surgeries and, due to a spinal infarction, had experienced paralysis below the waist. He had been at the National Rehab Hospital in DC, was on a program of physical and occupational therapy and seemed to be doing fine. On Tuesday, however, Phil experienced an extremely high temperature and heart rate and extremely low blood pressure. He was transferred from the National Rehab Hospital to the Washington Hospital Center ER around 11:00 am. Doctors attempted to stabilize him throughout the day, but Phil's body was simply not able to recover. The cause of this very sudden and unexpected situation is not known at this time.

Memorial services to celebrate Phil's life will be held in both DC and Topeka. We will keep you informed of the details as they develop.

Peace to all -- Don Peterson
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
What a shock; he was just the nicest man and what a sense of humor. You will be missed, sir.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I was shocked when I saw that email this morning. I had talked with Phil a few days ago and he was positive that, with the therapy, he'd be home soon.

I've only met a couple of Fools in person, and Phil was one of them. A truly great guy.

RDW
No. of Recommendations: 0
So sorry to hear this.

Joan
No. of Recommendations: 4
I am at a loss for words.

The world was a better place with Phil in it.

My deepest condolences to his family (particularly his beloved Cousin Barbara) and to all his many friends.

RIP, Phil.

Christina
I'm stunned. What a truly kind, talented man. He will be greatly missed. His contributions to TMF were always informative and evenhanded. I count myself lucky to have been one who met him in person.

Chili
deeply saddened
* gasp *

I recall he had a torn rotator cuff repaired recently. No idea anything else was wrong. Always hoped to meet him in person one day.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Always hoped to meet him in person one day.

I am one of those who were fortunate enough to have not only met Phil but spent some time with him on his various visits to NYC.

His wonderful sense of humor was always present but his vast knowledge of theater and art, etc. was something that wasn't always obvious.

I will never again hear about some celebrity or other person who passes at 90 years old or more and not think of Phil and his truly great observation of "nipped in the bud" or his comment that he thought that person had died a long time ago.

He left us way too early.

Christina
I spent time with Phil twice while visiting in the DC area; so much fun to talk to...a great loss to friends, family and TMF.
I am so very shocked and sorry to hear about Phil. He helped me a great deal on the Taking Care of Parents Board.

He worked so hard taking care of his parents and his friend. I will miss his compassion and sage advice.

Liz
No. of Recommendations: 5
Phil, as I said somewhere else, I hope that wherever you are you can still read all the posts and realize what a special Fool you were here in Fooldom!

Hope the humor stays with you and all pain is gone.....

And thanks for taking the time to visit me when you were in California.....it meant a lot.
I have been in shock since I heard the news yesterday. It's just so sad when someone as wonderful, kind and generous as Phil is no longer there.

Phil embodied everything that the Motley Fool stands for... always willing to lend a helping hand, and always with a good sense of humor and compassion.

He will be sorely missed.

Barbara
Home Fool
*insert string of obscenities here*

Uncle Phil saved my sanity on more than a few occasions while I was trying (and flailing, but not quite failing) to deal with my grandmother's decline.

He had an amazing ability to tell me that everything I was feeling (mainly anger and massive frustration) was completely and totally normal, while at the same time giving a good dose of, "Suck it up, Buttercup!"

My world is not nearly as good anymore.

Phil, thank you so much for everything.

- Cindy
Does anyone know if there is a particular thread on TMF I should follow to get details of the DC memorial? I would very much like to attend.

- Cindy
Cindy, I believe memorial service info will be posted to the Tax Strategies board:

http://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-posting-this-ira-phil-help...

Also, since Phil Marti was his real as well as screen name, I'm occasionally googling his obit in case I miss the info here.
Does anyone know if there is a particular thread on TMF I should follow to get details of the DC memorial? I would very much like to attend.

I will post any information as soon as I receive it. I have asked to be kept up on any services in his honor.

Barbara
Home Fool
Well, this is sudden, tragic news!!!! Been off the Boards for a day or two, and just seeing this now. Phil was a kind and gentle soul. His contributions to The Motley Fool were I'm sure very similar to the rest of his life: generous, giving, significant and truly unmatched!!

He will be sorely missed!

Yoda
No. of Recommendations: 7
Here is to kind souls,smart souls loving souls.
Here is to kind hearts and caring words.
Here is to wise instructors with smiles aplenty.
Here is to Phil.

Howie52
No. of Recommendations: 14
That says volumes about Phil.
Yep, as smart as he was nice.
No. of Recommendations: 10
I had tried several time to meet with him in Topeka or in Washington, DC since August 1995. He ALWAYS declined. -- Essentially pour moi no loss at all. - C'est le vie!!!, ou C'est la mort.

Kahuna, CFA

Bless your heart, you certainly can butcher an otherwise lovely language, can't you? I can say with almost certainty that no one will be complaining about you declining to meet them after you're gone.

LWW
No. of Recommendations: 6
That says volumes about Phil.
---------------------------

That post also says volumes about Kahuna.
Oh no.

This is awful.

I can't believe it.

I am so very sad.
Bless your heart, you certainly can butcher an otherwise lovely language, can't you? I can say with almost certainty that no one will be complaining about you declining to meet them after you're gone.

LWW:

Loved your post. But you're a better person than I am because there's no way that I would have included the first three words above in replying to that incredibly insensitive and selfish poster!

BTW - I think you could have left out the word "almost" in the second sentence.

Christina
LOL, if we couldn't tell from your screen name, we'd certainly be able to tell from your literal reading of a phrase that is generally used to mean the exact opposite, that you're not from The South.
In this context, Christina, I believe LWW was using the "Bless your heart" in the unique lexicon of a proper Southern woman, directing someone to take a long walk off of a short pier or something more descriptive using two words, seven letters . . . because, of course, she would never, ever actually utter those words.

"Bless your heart" combined with a hug is interpreted as a sincere form of sympathy or commiseration. You learn the difference.

Chili

P.S. This is refusing to post for whatever reason at 3 p.m. CDT. Probably Time Worthless, but maybe someday you'll see it.
I believe LWW was using the "Bless your heart" in the unique lexicon of a proper Southern woman, directing someone to take a long walk off of a short pier or something more descriptive using two words, seven letters . . . because, of course, she would never, ever actually utter those words.

"Bless your heart" combined with a hug is interpreted as a sincere form of sympathy or commiseration. You learn the difference.

TYVM for the explanation, Chili.

As you know, I'm NYC "born and bred". And I probably would have used those "two words, seven letters"!!!

Christina