Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
is causing us a ton of rain today. Just thought I would let you know I live on a hill in Florida.

Blue
Print the post Back To Top
Hey Blue,

...is causing us a ton of rain today.

Yeah, we saw that one the news this A.M. Hope everyone else in FL is high & dry!

Y'all be careful down there!

ßillƒ
No. of Recommendations: 4
Texas gulf coast ~ Galveston ~ is gonna get hammered.

Rita is just 5 mph shy of being a Cat5 storm ... and it's expected to continue getting bigger & stronger. No upper-level ridge to shear off top of storm, and it's tracking just on the outside edge of Katrina's path ... in very warm 87-90* waters ... that were not churned up & cooled by Katrina. Just heard that it will probably go b/f between Cat4 & Cat5 as it approaches Texas landfall late Friday ... and they are hoping the cooler waters near the shore will downgrade it's strength one category as it moves ashore. If it approaches as a Cat4, will make landfall as a Cat3 ... if it approaches as a Cat5 it will make landfall as a Cat4. Either way, it's a no-win scenerio.

If you are the *praying type* ... now's the time to send up a few~
No. of Recommendations: 1
More bad newz folks: Rita's just been assessed as a Cat 5 with winds at 165.

Didn't go to NOAAH to pick off the barometric pressures ... figured I'd spare myself that news til I get home.

I'm with you Chez, if'n you're the praying type, it's time .........
If'n you're not, well, might just wanna take up the habit.

Got some friends down thataway not too far offa the coast. They've been packin the critters and kids and are heading inland soon's they can. (GL Ginger1236 and all the Funny Farm folks. <Get a move on, girl!>)

Has anyone spoken to the Colonel lately? Know he was out of the direct path of Katrina .... How's he fixed on this big'un?

DP
who lurks even when she hasn't the time to post
More bad newz folks: Rita's just been assessed as a Cat 5 with winds at 165.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just heard Neil Cavuto ask a hurricane expert at the National Hurricane Center if the hurricane would continue to strengthen. The answer was: "Rita may strengthen a little bit, but not much ... it's as strong now as it's physically possible for a hurricane to get"!!

Jeez, that was sobering ...
Hey DP,

Has anyone spoken to the Colonel lately?

I've left two messages for him the past coupla weeks, but he may be in CA with his son's family.

ßillƒ *hoping*
Just heard the latest recon report on Rita ... pressure has dropped to 898 mb and winds up to 185 mph ... making it the 3rd strongest hurricane EVER! The entire Texas gulf coast is now under mandatory evacuation, and they're talking about evacuating Houston!! This is almost surreal ....
Holy Frejolies! I'm gonna switch over to the web news and catch up on the gory details. See y'all in a bit.

DP
Donna, I'm listening to a streaming WOAI feed, that has a reporter on the recon plane and she just got a text message saying that all of the "hurricane hunters" up there right now are "absolutely STUNNED" at the intensity of this storm. Winds at 10,000 ft are over 200 mph.

Time to get my tin foil hat out....
Donna, I'm listening to a streaming WOAI feed, that has a reporter on the recon plane and she just got a text message saying that all of the "hurricane hunters" up there right now are "absolutely STUNNED" at the intensity of this storm. Winds at 10,000 ft are over 200 mph.

Time to get my tin foil hat out....

And we are just kicking into the peak of hurricane season. There are probably still more to come.
Kathleen
(Be safe everyone)
Rita is just 5 mph shy of being a Cat5 storm ... and it's expected to continue getting bigger & stronger. No upper-level ridge to shear off top of storm, and it's tracking just on the outside edge of Katrina's path ... in very warm 87-90* waters ... that were not churned up & cooled by Katrina. Just heard that it will probably go b/f between Cat4 & Cat5 as it approaches Texas landfall late Friday ... and they are hoping the cooler waters near the shore will downgrade it's strength one category as it moves ashore. If it approaches as a Cat4, will make landfall as a Cat3 ... if it approaches as a Cat5 it will make landfall as a Cat4. Either way, it's a no-win scenerio.

I heard this evening that they even expect DFW to get winds up to 90mph.
Kathleen