Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
RJB: giving you a 1099 is better for the hospital but not necessarily for you. No income tax has been deducted from your pay so you will have to come up with that money at tax time. Also you will pay more social security taxes as you are self employed now. The one thing in your favour is being self-employed gives you an opportunity to deduct certain expenses related to work that an employee cannot deduct.

Keep your receipts and also keep a log book for mileage for your car. You may not be able to claim mileage but in any case it is better to have the information ready just in case.

If you are earning enough money you may have to consider making estimated payments. The government wants their tax money contributed evenly throughout the year and if they are not getting it from payroll taxes you should be contributing it through estimated taxes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.