Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've looked at several different RMD calculators. One of the required inputs to the calculators is the Annual Growth Rate that you expects their their IRA account(s) to experience over time.

Some calculators have notes suggesting that you should use 4% as your Annual Growth Rate once you retire and are no longer contributing to the IRA account.

Some calculators provide notes on the long-term annual average growth rate for the S&P 500. This is generally reported as being between 8-9 percent.

My IRA accounts compound annual growth rate since retiring is 11.75%. Using this rate in the RMD calculators produces fantasy world results of $600K RMD withdrawals in my mid-nineties and IRA account balances three times my current balances.

What would you consider a more appropriate Annual Growth Rate input to an RMD calculator?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.